Quantum Mechanics I, finding impuls wavefunction.

milkism
Homework Statement
Find the impuls wavefunction phi(p) from the position wavefunction.
Relevant Equations
Look solution.
I have this following Gaussian wavefunction.
1705233351985.png

I found the constant C to be $$\sqrt{\sqrt{\frac{2 \alpha}{\pi}}}$$.
Now they're asking me to find the normalized impuls wavefunction $$\phi(p)$$. I tried to use the fourier transform relation
$$\phi (p) = \int e^{-\frac{i ( p x)}{\hbar}} \Psi (x,t=0) dx$$
and i got a long answer
$$\sqrt{\sqrt{\frac{2 \alpha}{\pi}}} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{\alpha}} e^{-\frac{q^2}{4\alpha} + \frac{pq}{2 \alpha \hbar} - \frac{p^2}{4 \alpha \hbar ^2}}$$
Is there an other way to solve this? Because next question is to find the expectation value of position from the normalized impuls wavefunction, which is going to be very hard.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a better way to find impuls wavefunctions from position wavefunctions?

Any other way will of course give the same result.

milkism said:
I found the constant C to be
How ? [edit] never mind o:)
milkism said:
Because next question
Can you please post the complete problem statement ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
How ?
Can you please post the complete problem statement ?

##\ ##
$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \Psi ^{*} \Psi dx =1, \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} C^2 e^{-2 \alpha x^2} dx = C^2 \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{2\alpha}} = 1$$

Likes BvU
Calculate the corresponding normalized wave function φ(p) in momentum space. Explicitly compute, based on the knowledge of φ(p), the expectation value 〈x〉.

Likes BvU
milkism said:
and i got a long answer
##e^{-{1\over 4\alpha}\left(q-p\right )^2}\ ## doesn't look all that bad to me ...
a peak around p = q, so the exercise will probably end up at something moving to the right with momentum ##q##

(did you check there is no ##i## in there ?)

The exercise reminded me of the treatment in Merzbacher, QM 2nd ed (1970 !) chapter 2.2

Next step was $$\psi(x,t) = {1\over \sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \phi(k) e^{i(kx-\omega t}) dk$$ but I'm too rusty to comfortably work that out ( i.e. ##\omega(k)## )

##\ ##

Likes PhDeezNutz and milkism

1. How do you find the impulse wavefunction in Quantum Mechanics I?

To find the impulse wavefunction in Quantum Mechanics I, you first need to determine the momentum operator. Then, you can apply this operator to the position wavefunction to obtain the impulse wavefunction.

2. What is the importance of finding the impulse wavefunction in Quantum Mechanics I?

Finding the impulse wavefunction in Quantum Mechanics I is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a quantum system in terms of momentum. This information is crucial for predicting the future evolution of the system.

3. Can you provide an example of finding the impulse wavefunction in Quantum Mechanics I?

Sure! Let's say we have a particle confined to a one-dimensional box. By applying the momentum operator to the position wavefunction of the particle, we can calculate the impulse wavefunction and analyze its properties.

4. What mathematical tools are needed to find the impulse wavefunction in Quantum Mechanics I?

To find the impulse wavefunction in Quantum Mechanics I, you will need a good understanding of linear algebra, differential equations, and the principles of quantum mechanics. Familiarity with operators and their properties is also essential.

5. How does finding the impulse wavefunction relate to uncertainty in Quantum Mechanics I?

In Quantum Mechanics I, finding the impulse wavefunction is related to uncertainty through the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. This principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of properties, such as position and momentum, can be known simultaneously.