Eigenstates of composite spin hamiltoninan

In summary, the given Hamiltonian describes the interaction between a spin-3/2 particle and a spin-1/2 particle. To find the eigenstates and corresponding energies, one must consider the addition of angular momenta and Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. The Hamiltonian can be rewritten in terms of total spin and total z spin, but also depends on the individual spin operators. The composite spin state of the two particles can be written as a sum of Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, and the allowed energies are determined by the allowed values of s and m.
center o bass
A spin-3/2 particle (labeled 1) and a spin-1/2 particle (labeled 2) are interacting via
the Hamiltonian

[tex] \lambda \vec S_1 \cdot \vec S_2 + g(S_{1z} + S_{2z})^2[/tex]

where S1 is the spin operator of particle 1 (the spin-3/2) and S2 is the spin operator
of particle 2 (the spin-1/2). λ and g are positive constants (λ ≫ g).

I am asked to find the eigenstates and the corresponding energies for this hamiltonian (neglecting any spatial degrees of freedom).

Since we have a two particle system I guess one must consider addition of angular momenta and the CB-coefficients, but I am really unsure about this hamiltonian. Should one reformulate in in terms of total spin operators? Do we know how the total spin operator S acts without squaring it?

How do I get started here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just one question: How exactly is the scalar product between S1 (spin 3/2) and S2 (spin 1/2) defined? S1 should be a vector having 4 entries, S2 a vector having 2 entries.

S1 should be a vector having 4 entries, S2 a vector having 2 entries.

Why is that? Is'nt the hamiltonian originally defined in a classical sense so that we think of theese vectors as classical 3-dimensional spin vectors? I have the habit of doing so until they act on quantum states, then I think of them as QM operators.

I guess you could define that scalar product as the product of the direct products

[tex](S \otimes I)(I \otimes S),[/tex]

furthermore we have the relation

[tex]S_{tot}^2 = S_1^2 + S_2^2 + 2 \vec S_1 \cdot \vec S_2 = (S \otimes I)^2 + (I \otimes S)^2 + 2 (S \otimes I)(I\otimes S)[/tex]

which maybe could be used to define the action of

[tex](S \otimes I)(I \otimes S)[/tex]

on a state?

center o bass said:
[tex]S_{tot}^2 = S_1^2 + S_2^2 + 2 \vec S_1 \cdot \vec S_2[/tex]
Use this relation and solve for [itex]\vec S_1 \cdot \vec S_2[/itex].

susskind_leon said:
Just one question: How exactly is the scalar product between S1 (spin 3/2) and S2 (spin 1/2) defined? S1 should be a vector having 4 entries, S2 a vector having 2 entries.
You're confusing the states with the operators.

Yes, you're right, sorry!

vela said:
Use this relation and solve for [itex]\vec S_1 \cdot \vec S_2[/itex].

Why would I want to do that? :) I'm a little bit bothered by the fact that I can not express the Hamiltonian purely in terms of the total spin and the total z spin. I could rewrite it as

[tex]H = \frac{\lambda}{2} ( S_{tot}^2 - S_1^2 - S_2^2 ) + g S_{ztot}^2 [/tex]

but then I have the pesky S1 and S2 operators in there. Btw is it correct to assume that any such composite spin state of particle 1 and two can be written as

[tex] |s m\rangle = \sum_{m1,m2} C |\frac{3}2,m_1\rangle |\frac{1}2, m_2\rangle[/tex]

where C are the GB coeffs?

center o bass said:
Why would I want to do that? :) I'm a little bit bothered by the fact that I can not express the Hamiltonian purely in terms of the total spin and the total z spin. I could rewrite it as

[tex]H = \frac{\lambda}{2} ( S_{tot}^2 - S_1^2 - S_2^2 ) + g S_{ztot}^2 [/tex]

but then I have the pesky S1 and S2 operators in there.
That's not a problem because S12, S22, S2, and Sz all commute with each other.

If you think about it, you can't really describe everything in terms of just S2 and Sz. You have two quantum numbers for each particle, so the combined state needs four quantum numbers. It's not surprising that the Hamiltonian will depend on S12 and S22 as well.
Btw is it correct to assume that any such composite spin state of particle 1 and two can be written as

[tex] |s m\rangle = \sum_{m1,m2} C |\frac{3}2,m_1\rangle |\frac{1}2, m_2\rangle[/tex]

where C are the GB coeffs?
Yes. (So far you've referred to them as CB and GB coefficients. I assume you mean the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. :smile:)

[QOUTE]Yes. (So far you've referred to them as CB and GB coefficients. I assume you mean the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. :smile:)[/QUOTE]

Hehe, the _CG_ coefficients ;P If i assume that this is the case I get

[tex]H|sm\rangle = \left[\frac{\lambda}{2}(S_{tot}^2 - S_1^2 -S_2^2) +gS_{ztot}^2\right] |sm\rangle[/tex]

[tex] = \left[\frac{\lambda}2 (\hbar^2s(s+1) - S_1^2 - S_2^2) + g\hbar^2 m\right] \sum C |\frac{3}2, m_1\rangle|\frac{1}{2} m_2\rangle[/tex]
[tex] = \left[ \lambda \hbar^2 \left( \frac{2 s(s+1) - 9}{4}\right) + gm\hbar \right] |sm\rangle.[/tex]

Is the states and the allowed energies now dictated by the allowed s and m's given s_1 and s_2?

Yup.

Related to Eigenstates of composite spin hamiltoninan

1. What is a composite spin Hamiltonian?

A composite spin Hamiltonian is a mathematical representation of the total energy of a system that contains multiple spin particles. It takes into account the interactions between the individual spin particles and the external magnetic field.

2. What are eigenstates in the context of composite spin Hamiltonians?

Eigenstates are the quantum states of a composite spin system that satisfy the Schrödinger equation and have well-defined energies. They represent the possible energy levels that the system can have.

3. How are eigenstates of composite spin Hamiltonians calculated?

Eigenstates of composite spin Hamiltonians are calculated using mathematical techniques such as diagonalization or perturbation theory. These methods involve finding the solutions to the Schrödinger equation and determining the corresponding eigenvalues.

4. What is the significance of eigenstates in composite spin systems?

Eigenstates are important in composite spin systems because they provide a basis for describing the quantum states of the system. They also allow for the calculation of various physical properties, such as the total energy and the spin orientation, of the system.

5. How do composite spin Hamiltonians and eigenstates relate to quantum mechanics?

Composite spin Hamiltonians and eigenstates are fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the behavior and properties of systems at the quantum level, where particles can have discrete energy states and exhibit wave-like behavior.