Energy eigenvalues of spin Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian of the positronium atom in the 1S state in a magnetic field along the z-axis. The Hamiltonian is given by H=AS_1\cdot S_2+\frac{eB}{mc}(S_{1z}-S_{2z}), and the goal is to obtain the energy eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian and classify them according to quantum numbers. The approach suggested is to use the coupled representation of total angular momentum and write the Hamiltonian as a 4x4 matrix. The conversation then discusses how to compute the effect of operators on the basis and suggests decomposing |1,0\rangle into a linear combination of other basis states.
vbrasic

Homework Statement

The Hamiltonian of the positronium atom in the ##1S## state in a magnetic field ##B## along the ##z##-axis is to good approximation, $$H=AS_1\cdot S_2+\frac{eB}{mc}(S_{1z}-S_{2z}).$$ Using the coupled representation in which ##S^2=(S_1+S_2)^2##, and ##S_z=S_{1z}+S_{2z}## are diagonal, obtain the energy eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian and classify them according to quantum numbers associated with constants of motion.

Homework Equations

Not really sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

The coupled representation as far as I know is just the total angular momentum representation. We have that both the electron and positron are spin half particles, so the total angular momentum basis is, $$|1\,1\rangle;\,|1\,0\rangle;\,|1\,-1\rangle;\,|0\,0\rangle.$$ However, I have no idea where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
What if you wrote the Hamiltonian as a 4×4 matrix using the basis that you posted and then diagonalized it?

kuruman said:
What if you wrote the Hamiltonian as a 4×4 matrix using the basis that you posted and then diagonalized it?
Okay, so to do that I have to see how each operator affects the basis, right? I'm not sure how that would work with ##S_{1z}## for example. That is, how do I compute ##S_{1z}|1\,0\rangle## for example. I suppose one way would be to decompose ##|1\,0\rangle## as $$|1\,0\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\bigg(|+\,-\rangle+|-\,+\rangle\bigg).$$ Then, we have that $$S_{1z}=|1\,0\rangle=\frac{\hbar}{2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\bigg(|+\,-\rangle-|-\,+\rangle=\bigg)=\frac{\hbar}{2}|0\,0\rangle.$$ Is that sounding okay?

That sounds fine.

1. What are energy eigenvalues in a spin Hamiltonian?

Energy eigenvalues in a spin Hamiltonian refer to the specific energy levels that a particle with spin can have in a given system. These energy levels are determined by the spin of the particle and the properties of the system, and are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values.

2. How are energy eigenvalues calculated in a spin Hamiltonian?

Energy eigenvalues are calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation for the spin Hamiltonian. This involves using mathematical methods such as matrix diagonalization or perturbation theory to find the possible energy levels for a given spin and system.

3. What is the significance of energy eigenvalues in a spin Hamiltonian?

The energy eigenvalues in a spin Hamiltonian provide important information about the behavior and properties of particles with spin in a given system. They can affect how the particles interact with each other and with external fields, and can also be used to make predictions about the behavior of the system.

4. How do energy eigenvalues relate to spin states?

Energy eigenvalues are directly related to spin states in a spin Hamiltonian. Each energy eigenvalue corresponds to a specific spin state, and the energy difference between two eigenvalues is proportional to the difference in spin states. This relationship is known as the energy-spin correlation.

5. Can energy eigenvalues change over time in a spin Hamiltonian?

Yes, energy eigenvalues can change over time in a spin Hamiltonian. This can occur due to changes in the system or external influences, such as the application of a magnetic field. These changes can result in transitions between energy levels, which can have important consequences for the behavior of the system.