Eigenvalue (and function) of integral equation

In summary: Re: eigenvalue (and function) of integral eqHow would I do this problem using the Fredholm series? I know how to use the Fredholm series to solve an integrable equation but not how to find the eigenvalue(s) or function.
Dustinsfl
Given
\[
f(x) = \lambda\int_0^1xy^2f(y)dy
\]
I am trying to determine the eigenvalues and eigenfunction. I know that the \(\frac{1}{\lambda}\) are the eigenvalues.
We can write \(f(x) = xA\) and \(A = \lambda\int_0^1y^2f(y)dy\).
\[
A\Bigg(1 - \lambda\int_0^1y^3dy\Bigg) = 0\quad (*)
\]
So is the eigenvalue only one value which would be what I get when I solve for 1 over lambda?
\[
\frac{1}{\lambda} = \frac{1}{4}
\]
Is \((*)\) the eigenfunction? If not, how do I find the eigenfunction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: eigenvalue (and function) of integral eq

dwsmith said:
Given
\[
f(x) = \lambda\int_0^1xy^2f(y)dy
\]
I am trying to determine the eigenvalues and eigenfunction. I know that the \(\frac{1}{\lambda}\) are the eigenvalues.
We can write \(f(x) = xA\) and \(A = \lambda\int_0^1y^2f(y)dy\).
\[
A\Bigg(1 - \lambda\int_0^1y^3dy\Bigg) = 0\quad (*)
\]
So is the eigenvalue only one value which would be what I get when I solve for 1 over lambda?
\[
\frac{1}{\lambda} = \frac{1}{4}
\]
Is \((*)\) the eigenfunction? If not, how do I find the eigenfunction?

I presume you want to find the eigen values and functions of the operator defined by: \(Lf(x) = \int_0^1 x y^2 f(y)\ dy\).

We observe that this is a linear operator over the space of functions it is defined on, as we require, and that we are looking for an eigen value \(\lambda\) and function \(f_{\lambda}(x)\) such that:

\[Lf_{\lambda}(x)=\lambda f_{\lambda}(x)\]

As \(L\) maps any function in its domain to a multiple of \(x\) and any multiple of an eigen function is also an eigen function we may as well take the eigen function to be \(f(x)=x\), then \(Lf(x)=\int_0^1 x y^2 f(y)\ dy=\frac{1}{4}x\).

Hence the eigen value of \(L\) is \(1/4\) and a corresponding eigen function is \(f_{1/4}(x)=x\).

zzephod said:
I presume you want to find the eigen values and functions of the operator defined by: \(Lf(x) = \int_0^1 x y^2 f(y)\ dy\).

We observe that this is a linear operator over the space of functions it is defined on, as we require, and that we are looking for an eigen value \(\lambda\) and function \(f_{\lambda}(x)\) such that:

\[Lf_{\lambda}(x)=\lambda f_{\lambda}(x)\]

As \(L\) maps any function in its domain to a multiple of \(x\) and any multiple of an eigen function is also an eigen function we may as well take the eigen function to be \(f(x)=x\), then \(Lf(x)=\int_0^1 x y^2 f(y)\ dy=\frac{1}{4}x\).

Hence the eigen value of \(L\) is \(1/4\) and a corresponding eigen function is \(f_{1/4}(x)=x\).

From your working, how did you obtain the 1/4? Is the eigenfunction always \(f(x) = \text{x terms}\)?

dwsmith said:
From your working, how did you obtain the 1/4? Is the eigenfunction always \(f(x) = \text{x terms}\)?

As the image of any function under \(L\) is a multiple of \(x\) the eigen function must be a multiple of \(x\) for this operator.

The \(1/4\) when \(f(x)=x\) comes from:

\[ x \int_0^1 y^2f(y)\ dx=x \int_0^1 y^3\ dx=x\ \left[ \frac{y^4}{4}\right]_0^1\]

zzephod said:
As the image of any function under \(L\) is a multiple of \(x\) the eigen function must be a multiple of \(x\) for this operator.

The \(1/4\) when \(f(x)=x\) comes from:

\[ x \int_0^1 y^2f(y)\ dx=x \int_0^1 y^3\ dx=x\ \left[ \frac{y^4}{4}\right]_0^1\]

How would I do this problem using the Fredholm series? I know how to use the Fredholm series to solve an integrable equation but not how to find the eigenvalue(s) or function.

Related to Eigenvalue (and function) of integral equation

1. What is an eigenvalue of an integral equation?

An eigenvalue of an integral equation is a scalar value that, when multiplied by a given function, results in a linear combination of that function and its integral. In other words, it is a value that satisfies a certain equation involving both the function and its integral.

2. How is an eigenvalue related to the solution of an integral equation?

An eigenvalue plays a crucial role in the solution of an integral equation. It determines the form of the solution and can also help in finding the unknown function in the equation.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues in integral equations?

Eigenvalues are important in integral equations because they provide a way to solve the equation and find the unknown function. They also help to understand the behavior of the solution and can provide insights into various physical and mathematical systems.

4. How are eigenvalues and eigenfunctions related in integral equations?

In integral equations, eigenvalues and eigenfunctions are closely related. An eigenfunction is a function that satisfies the integral equation when multiplied by its corresponding eigenvalue. The eigenfunction-eigenvalue pairs form the basis for the solution of the integral equation.

5. How can eigenvalues be calculated for integral equations?

There are various methods for calculating eigenvalues of integral equations, such as the Galerkin method, the Nyström method, and the Fredholm method. These methods involve approximating the integral equation and solving the resulting system of equations to find the eigenvalues. In some cases, exact solutions can also be found analytically.