Eigenvalue problem and badly conditioned matrices

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving the eigenvalue problem using the equation A*v = lambda*B*v. The approach suggested involves using the built-in functions in Mathematica, but there are concerns about the conditioning of B^-1. The discussion also touches on a previously tackled problem and the use of Lanczos method to avoid explicit inversion. It is ultimately concluded that the generalized eigenvalue problem can be solved robustly using Eigensystem[A,B] in Mathematica.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am trying to solve the eigenvalue problem ##A v = \lambda B v##. I thought I'd solve this by $$A v = \lambda B v \implies\\
B^{-1} A v = \lambda v\implies\\
(B^{-1} A - \lambda I) v = 0 $$
and then using the built in function Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors on the matrix ##B^{-1}A##. But as you can see from the title, ##B^{-1}## is badly conditioned. Any ideas on how to get around this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow. Isn't this a problem that you tackled ##\gt 6 ## months ago?

E.g. I asked about it here and linked to an old thread tackling this problem via use of Lancosz method (to avoid explicit inversion among other things):

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-calculus-of-variations.936407/#post-5917752

but that was back in January of this year, and you mentioned you had already solved the problem.

Likes member 428835
StoneTemplePython said:
I don't follow. Isn't this a problem that you tackled ##\gt 6 ## months ago?

E.g. I asked about it here and linked to an old thread tackling this problem via use of Lancosz method (to avoid explicit inversion among other things):

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...e-calculus-of-variations.936407/#post-5917752

but that was back in January of this year, and you mentioned you had already solved the problem.
Thanks for bringing this up again. I was previously using both Mathematica and MATLAB (odd I know) and at the time someone convinced me that the built in eigenvalue solver in MATLAB was robust. However, now that I am using Mathematica exclusively, I forgot that explicitly computing the matrix inverse was the issue, not the eigenvalue solver.

For those in the future, generalized eigenvalue problems of the above form are solved very robustly in Mathematica via Eigensystem[A,B] following from above.

Thanks StoneTemplePython

1. What is an eigenvalue problem?

An eigenvalue problem involves finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of a given matrix. Eigenvalues are scalars that represent the scaling factor of the eigenvector when the matrix is applied to it.

2. What are the applications of eigenvalue problems?

Eigenvalue problems have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, data analysis, and computer graphics. They are used for solving differential equations, analyzing the stability of systems, and reducing dimensionality of data.

3. How do badly conditioned matrices affect eigenvalue problems?

Badly conditioned matrices have eigenvalues that are very sensitive to small changes in the matrix elements. This can lead to inaccurate results and make it difficult to determine the true eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix.

4. What are some methods for dealing with badly conditioned matrices in eigenvalue problems?

One approach is to use a more precise numerical method, such as the QR algorithm, to compute the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Another approach is to use matrix conditioning techniques, such as matrix scaling, to improve the accuracy of the results.

5. How can eigenvalue problems be solved efficiently?

There are various methods for solving eigenvalue problems efficiently, such as the power method, inverse iteration, and the QR algorithm. The choice of method depends on the properties of the matrix and the desired accuracy of the results.