Eigenvalues of transpose linear transformation

In summary, the author is trying to solve an equation for the eigenvalues of a matrix, but is having trouble because he does not know the determinant of the matrix.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

If ##A## is an ##n \times n## matrix, show that the eigenvalues of ##T(A) = A^{t}## are ##\lambda = \pm 1##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I assume that a matrix ##M## is an eigenvector of ##T##. So ##T(M) = \lambda M## for some ##\lambda \in \mathbb{R}##. This means that ##M^t = \lambda M##. Then ##\det (M^t) = \det (M)##. So ##\det(M) = \lambda^n \det (M)##. But I can't seem to cancel the determinants since we don't know if ##M## is invertible or not. This is where I get stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement is plain wrong: choose ##A=0## or any diagonal matrix ##diag(\lambda_1,\ldots ,\lambda_n)## with ##\lambda_i## of your choice. And these are only the simple counterexamples. Could it be, that ##A\cdot A^t=1## is the given condition?

fresh_42 said:
The statement is plain wrong: choose ##A=0## or any diagonal matrix ##diag(\lambda_1,\ldots ,\lambda_n)## with ##\lambda_i## of your choice. And these are only the simple counterexamples. Could it be, that ##A\cdot A^t=1## is the given condition?
But if ##M^t = \lambda M##, and if ##\lambda = \pm 1##, wouldn't the symmetric and anti-symmetric matrices work?

Mr Davis 97 said:
But if ##M^t = \lambda M##, and if ##\lambda = \pm 1##, wouldn't the symmetric and anti-symmetric matrices work?
What does this mean for a vector? A column vector is a multiple of a row vector? This would only mean ##n=1## and ##\lambda (M-1)=0##, i.e. ##\lambda = 0## or ##M=1##. Since the claim is obviously wrong, why bother an attempt to prove it? It cannot be proven. Perhaps I didn't understand your ##T##. To me it looked like ##T : A \longmapsto A^t##.

I'll write out the problems exactly as it is written: Let ##T## be a linear operator on ##M_{n \times n} (\mathbb{R})## defined by ##T(A) = A^t##. Show that ##\pm 1## are the only eigenvalues of 1.

The problem is from a standard textbook (Friedberg), so I don't think there's anything wrong with the problem

O.k., I thought it is about the eigenvalues of ##A##. My fault, sorry. Then you might look at ##T^2## for the solution.

Likes Mr Davis 97
fresh_42 said:
O.k., I thought it is about the eigenvalues of ##A##. My fault, sorry. Then you might look at ##T^2## for the solution.
That ends up working well. Why doesn't the determinant approach work well? I want to know so that next time I come across a similar problem I won't spend time going own that path

Mr Davis 97 said:
Why doesn't the determinant approach work well?
I think I know it now. It's the same thing as my error arose from. ##M## is a vector, and its determinant isn't important. We should only look at the determinant of ##T##, which is clearly a regular mapping with ##\det(T)^2 = 1##. The equation you found isn't wrong, but as you stated correctly, we don't know anything about ##M##, only that ##M \neq 0## which isn't enough, if we pass to the determinant of ##M##. I mean this reduces all ##n^2## information about ##M## to a single number, and more, it distracts from the properties of ##T##.

1. What are eigenvalues in the context of a transpose linear transformation?

Eigenvalues are the scalars that represent the scaling factor of the eigenvectors in a matrix. In the context of a transpose linear transformation, eigenvalues are used to determine the amount of stretching or shrinking that occurs in a vector space as a result of the transformation.

2. How are eigenvalues related to the transpose of a linear transformation?

The eigenvalues of a transpose linear transformation are the same as the eigenvalues of the original linear transformation. This is because the transpose of a matrix does not change the eigenvalues or eigenvectors.

3. What is the significance of the eigenvalues of a transpose linear transformation?

The eigenvalues of a transpose linear transformation provide important information about the properties and behavior of the transformation. They can tell us about the scaling and stretching of vectors, as well as the stability of the transformation.

4. How can eigenvalues be calculated for a transpose linear transformation?

To calculate the eigenvalues of a transpose linear transformation, we first find the eigenvalues of the original linear transformation. Then, we use the fact that the eigenvalues of a transpose are the same as the eigenvalues of the original matrix. Finally, we can use methods such as the characteristic polynomial or diagonalization to find the eigenvalues.

5. Can a transpose linear transformation have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a transpose linear transformation can have complex eigenvalues. This occurs when the original linear transformation has complex eigenvalues. However, the eigenvalues of the transpose will still be the same as the original, regardless of whether they are real or complex.