Eigenvector and eigenvalue for differential operator

In summary: So, if $x=\frac{1}{2}$, then $a=\frac{1}{2}, b=\frac{1}{4}, c=\frac{1}{8}, and d=\frac{1}{16}.$In the first case, a=b=c=0, so there is no solution.In the second case, a=b=c=1, so the first eigenvalue is $\lambda = 1$.In the third case, a=b=-1, so the first eigenvalue is $\lambda = -1$.In the fourth case, a=b=-2, so the first eigenvalue is $\lambda
kalish1
My friends and I have been struggling with the following problem, and don't understand how to do it. We have gotten several different answers, but none of them make sense. Can you help us?

**Problem statement:** Let $V$ be the vector space of real-coefficient polynomials of degree at most $3$. Let $D:V \rightarrow V$ be the differential operator; $D(p(x))=\frac{d}{dx}p(x)$. Give an example of an eigenvector for $D$. What is the corresponding eigenvalue?

We ended up getting that $\frac {d}{dx}p(x)=\lambda p(x)$, so that $p(x)=\frac{x^2}{2}$. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
kalish said:
My friends and I have been struggling with the following problem, and don't understand how to do it. We have gotten several different answers, but none of them make sense. Can you help us?

**Problem statement:** Let $V$ be the vector space of real-coefficient polynomials of degree at most $3$. Let $D:V \rightarrow V$ be the differential operator; $D(p(x))=\frac{d}{dx}p(x)$. Give an example of an eigenvector for $D$. What is the corresponding eigenvalue?

We ended up getting that $\frac {d}{dx}p(x)=\lambda p(x)$, so that $p(x)=\frac{x^2}{2}$. Is this correct?

Thanks.

I don't think so, since:
$$D\Big(\frac{x^2}{2}\Big) = x \ne \lambda \cdot \frac{x^2}{2}$$

Let's pick a generic polynomial in V:
$$p(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d$$
where $a, b, c, d \in \mathbb R$.

Then we have:
$$D(p(x)) = \lambda p(x)$$
$$3ax^2 + 2bx + c = \lambda ax^3 + \lambda bx^2 + \lambda cx + \lambda d$$
Which solutions can you find for $\lambda$? And for $a, b, c, d$?

kalish said:

$p(x) = \frac{x^2}{2}$ is not an eigenvector, because $D(p(x)) = x$, which is not a scalar multiple of $p(x)$.

You might find it helpful to represent the operator $D$ by a matrix. Take the set $\{x^3,x^2,x,1\}$ to be a basis for $V$. Then the matrix of $D$ with respect to that basis is $\begin{bmatrix}0&0&0&0 \\ 3&0&0&0 \\ 0&2&0&0 \\ 0&0&1&0 \end{bmatrix}.$ Now use the usual algebraic method to calculate eigenvectors and eigenvalues for that matrix. Finally, you have to figure out what that tells you in terms of polynomials.

Edit. *sigh* As usual, I like Serena beat me to it. But he and I have given two different approaches to the problem, so I hope that one of them works for you.

I like Serena said:
I don't think so, since:
$$D\Big(\frac{x^2}{2}\Big) = x \ne \lambda \cdot \frac{x^2}{2}$$

Let's pick a generic polynomial in V:
$$p(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d$$
where $a, b, c, d \in \mathbb R$.

Then we have:
$$D(p(x)) = \lambda p(x)$$
$$3ax^2 + 2bx + c = \lambda ax^3 + \lambda bx^2 + \lambda cx + \lambda d$$
Which solutions can you find for $\lambda$? And for $a, b, c, d$?

Hi,
This is where we got stuck, because we couldn't solve for the values without knowing if lambda, a, b, c, d are nonzero...

kalish said:
Hi,
This is where we got stuck, because we couldn't solve for the values without knowing if lambda, a, b, c, d are nonzero...

Consider two cases:
  1. $\lambda = 0$
  2. $\lambda \ne 0$
What can you say about a, b, c, and d in each of those cases?
Note that the coefficient of each power of x must match left and right.

Related to Eigenvector and eigenvalue for differential operator

1. What is an eigenvector and eigenvalue for a differential operator?

An eigenvector is a vector that remains in the same direction when multiplied by a given matrix or operator. An eigenvalue is a scalar that represents the amount by which the eigenvector is scaled when multiplied by the operator.

2. How are eigenvectors and eigenvalues used in differential equations?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are used to find solutions to systems of differential equations, as they represent the directions and rates of change of the system. They can also be used to analyze the stability and behavior of the system.

3. How do you calculate eigenvectors and eigenvalues for a differential operator?

To calculate eigenvectors and eigenvalues for a differential operator, you need to solve the characteristic equation, which is found by setting the determinant of the operator minus the identity matrix equal to zero. The resulting eigenvalues can then be plugged into the operator to solve for the corresponding eigenvectors.

4. What is the importance of eigenvectors and eigenvalues in linear algebra?

Eigenvectors and eigenvalues are important in linear algebra because they provide a way to decompose a linear transformation into simpler parts. They also allow for the analysis and understanding of the behavior of linear systems and operators.

5. Can a differential operator have complex eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Yes, a differential operator can have complex eigenvectors and eigenvalues. In fact, complex eigenvectors and eigenvalues are often encountered when dealing with systems that have oscillatory behavior.