Einstein Field Eqs: Stress Energy Tensor Explained

In GR, the gravitational field is described by the curvature of spacetime itself, not by a potential energy.In summary, the stress energy tensor in GR is a mathematical object that describes the distribution of energy and momentum in a given spacetime. It contains components related to energy density, pressure, and momentum flux. In the case of a spherical, non-moving, and non-spinning source like a neutron star, the components ##T^{0i}## and ##T^{ij}## are zero. The component ##T^{00}## contains the energy density, but not gravitational potential energy, which does exist in GR but is not necessary to describe the curvature of spacetime and particle motions. Outside the star where ##\rho =
Silviu
Hello! I have just started the Einstein field equations in my readings on GR and I want to make sure I understand the stress energy tensor. If we have a spherical, non-moving, non-spinning source, let's say a neutron star (I don't know much about neutron stars, so I apologize if the non-moving and spinning are realistic). Please tell me if the following are correct. As nothing moves, ##T^{0i} = 0##. ##T^{ij}##, should be equal to the pressure inside the star (as particles don't move across boundaries to carry momentum). Now for ##T^{00}##, this contains ##\rho## the energy density. Now here is where I am a bit confused, does ##T^{00}## also contains the gravitational potential energy at a given point, or the potential energy doesn't exist in GR (i.e. mass curves spacetime and particles move on geodesics there, without needing the notion of potential energy). So let's say just outside the star, where ##\rho = 0## the ##T^{00}## is 0 or is the potential energy created by the star at that point? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
does ##T^{00}## also contains the gravitational potential energy at a given point, or the potential energy doesn't exist in GR (i.e. mass curves spacetime and particles move on geodesics there, without needing the notion of potential energy). So let's say just outside the star, where ##\rho = 0## the ##T^{00}## is 0 or is the potential energy created by the star at that point? Thank you!
You are correct that it does not contain gravitational potential energy, and it is zero outside the star. The energy focused on for most problems in GR is mass-energy and kinetic energy, which merge into one under the GR framework.

Silviu said:
does ##T^{00}## also contains the gravitational potential energy at a given point

No.

Silviu said:
or the potential energy doesn't exist in GR

There is a valid concept of gravitational potential energy in GR. It only applies to a certain class of spacetimes, but the one you are considering is in this class.

Silviu said:
(i.e. mass curves spacetime and particles move on geodesics there, without needing the notion of potential energy)

This is correct; although there is a valid concept of gravitational potential energy in GR that applies to certain spacetimes (including the one you are considering), you don't need to use it to make any predictions about spacetime curvature and particle motions.

1. What are the Einstein Field Equations?

The Einstein Field Equations are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy within it. They are the cornerstone of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. What is the Stress-Energy Tensor?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is a mathematical object that describes the distribution of matter and energy within a given region of space-time. It contains information about the density, pressure, and flow of energy and momentum within a given system.

3. How are the Einstein Field Equations derived?

The Einstein Field Equations are derived from the principles of general relativity, which state that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their motion. They are also derived from the concept of the equivalence principle, which states that the effects of gravity are equivalent to the effects of acceleration.

4. What is the significance of the Stress-Energy Tensor in the Einstein Field Equations?

The Stress-Energy Tensor is a crucial component of the Einstein Field Equations, as it describes the source of gravity in general relativity. It allows us to understand how matter and energy cause the curvature of space-time, which in turn determines the motion of objects within it.

5. How are the Einstein Field Equations used in modern physics?

The Einstein Field Equations are used in a variety of fields within modern physics, such as cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. They have been successfully tested and confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, and continue to be a fundamental tool for understanding the behavior of the universe on both small and large scales.