Elastic collision between two bodies

In summary: This is a great question because it would save you time. If you know the mass of the other block and the velocity of the other block after the collision, then you can solve for the mass of the other block in one equation.
lookalike

Homework Statement

A body of mass 2.0Kg makes an elastic collision with another body at rest and continues to move in the original direction but with one-fourth of its original speed. What is the mass of the other body?

Homework Equations

Because it is an elastic collision I know that Energy and momentum are conserved.

So, m1v1i+ m2v2i = m1v1f+m2v2f

V1f = V2f = Vf

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to go because I'm not given the velocity of the second block after the collision.

2*v1i + 0 = 2*(1/4v1i) + m2v2I'm confused because it states that the original block continues to move in the original direction. Because the blocks don't adhere to each-other or go in opposite directions I'm not sure what to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lets say block A is the 2kg one initially moving and block B is the one initially stationary.
You are not told that the blocks do not stick together.
Even if they do not, it is possible for block B to end up moving faster than block A.

You are not told the mass of block B or it's final velocity, but you can write down two equations which must be true simultaneously. Write them down.

lookalike said:

Homework Statement

A body of mass 2.0Kg makes an elastic collision with another body at rest and continues to move in the original direction but with one-fourth of its original speed. What is the mass of the other body?

Homework Equations

Because it is an elastic collision I know that Energy and momentum are conserved.

So, m1v1i+ m2v2i = m1v1f+m2v2f

V1f = V2f = Vf

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to go because I'm not given the velocity of the second block after the collision.

2*v1i + 0 = 2*(1/4v1i) + m2v2

I'm confused because it states that the original block continues to move in the original direction. Because the blocks don't adhere to each-other or go in opposite directions I'm not sure what to do.

Just so you know you're told that it's an perfectly elastic collision so you know that both momentum and kinetic energy is conserved.

So why not just isolate for a variable in one equation plug it into the next equation to get the answer, while cancelling out any unknowns

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two bodies where the total kinetic energy and momentum is conserved. This means that the total energy and momentum before the collision is equal to the total energy and momentum after the collision.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy and momentum is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation. In other words, in an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy and momentum before the collision is not equal to the total kinetic energy and momentum after the collision.

What are the conditions for an elastic collision to occur?

For an elastic collision to occur, the bodies must be in a frictionless environment and there should be no deformation or energy loss during the collision. Additionally, the bodies must also be considered point masses, meaning their size and shape do not affect the collision.

How is the velocity of each body calculated after an elastic collision?

The velocity of each body after an elastic collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. These equations take into account the masses and velocities of the bodies before and after the collision.

What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions include a game of billiards, a tennis ball hitting a racket, or two bumper cars colliding. In these scenarios, the total kinetic energy and momentum of the objects involved are conserved, resulting in elastic collisions.