Elastic collision in one of the particles' frame

In summary, the problem involves calculating the change in particle A's 4-momentum as viewed from particle B's rest frame, taking into account the conservation of total momentum. This can be achieved by calculating the difference between the final and initial 4-momenta of particle A, taking into account that particle B will also have a non-zero momentum after the collision.
Malamala

Homework Statement

A particle B is standing still while another one, A, is moving towards it with initial 4-momentum ##(E,p,0,0)##. Calculate the change in particle A's 4-momentum as viewed from the particle B's rest frame, in terms of the initial energy E and the scattering angle ##\theta##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am a bit confused about the 4-momentum conservation. Initially we have ##p^i_A=(E,p,0,0)## and ##p^i_B=(m_B,0,0,0)## finally we should have ##p^f_A=(E_f, p_f cos(\theta),p_f sin(\theta),0)## and ##p^f_B=(m_B,0,0,0)##. To get the change in momentum I would do ##p^f_A-p^i_A##. But the total momentum should be conserved in any frame, but I am not sure how does that work here. In order to conserve it, we would need ##E=E_f## and ##\theta=0## but then the problem would be trivial and also physically you can obviously have angles other than 0. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Particle B will move after the collision.

Likes maughanster
mfb gave a good answer. After the collision, particle B is not stationary. Maybe this already clear, but the TOTAL momentum is conserved, not necessarily the momentum of each individual particle.

What is an elastic collision in one of the particles' frame?

An elastic collision in one of the particles' frame is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the particles before and after the collision remains the same. This means that the particles do not lose or gain any energy during the collision.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the particles remains the same before and after the collision. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat, sound, or deformation. This means that the total kinetic energy of the particles after the collision is less than the total kinetic energy before the collision.

Why is it important to study elastic collisions in one of the particles' frame?

Studying elastic collisions in one of the particles' frame allows us to understand the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It also helps in predicting the outcome of collisions and designing experiments in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

What are the main factors that affect the outcome of an elastic collision in one of the particles' frame?

The main factors that affect the outcome of an elastic collision in one of the particles' frame are the masses of the particles, their velocities, and the angle at which they collide. These factors determine the direction and magnitude of the velocities of the particles after the collision.

What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions in one of the particles' frame?

Some real-life examples of elastic collisions in one of the particles' frame are the collision between billiard balls on a pool table, the collision between molecules in a gas, and the collision between atoms in a nuclear reactor. These collisions follow the laws of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy.