Elastic Potential Energy stored in rubber band

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the elastic potential energy stored in a rubber band when it is flicked across a room. The formula for elastic potential energy is needed, but the asker is having trouble remembering it. After some discussion and guidance, the conclusion is reached that the potential energy in the band is equal to the kinetic energy it gains when it is released.
Phykid
Hello Everyone.

It has a year since I have worked with Elastic Potential Energy & I have forgotten the formula to work it out.
I have this question and would appreciate it if anyone could tell me how to do it, or tell me the formula of how to work it out.

So here it is:

Rachel pulls back a 0.002 kg rubber band and flicks it across a room with a speed of 10m/s.
What was the elastic potential energy stored in the rubber band just before it was released?

Im sure this is extreamly simple to most of you, but please help me out :)

Thanks,
Phykid

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the very fast reply, but that is a little to complex for me!
I just need to know how to find the EPE using the mass & speed.

Thanks again,
Phykid

Phykid said:
Thanks for the very fast reply, but that is a little to complex for me!
I just need to know how to find the EPE using the mass & speed.

Thanks again,
Phykid
Yes you do, but can you work out the kinetic energy...?

Yes, 0.1J if I have done it right.

(Please excuse the newbie questions. I'm only 14 and not done this in a year)

Phykid said:
Yes, 0.1J if I have done it right.

(Please excuse the newbie questions. I'm only 14 and not done this in a year)
Spot on, so where do you think that the elastic band got this kinetic energy from?

Hootenanny said:
Spot on, so where do you think that the elastic band got this kinetic energy from?

The stretch? :)

Phykid said:
The stretch? :)
Correct, so how much potential energy was stored in the band?

0.1? :s
You've just lost me

Phykid said:
0.1? :s
You've just lost me
Correct! :smile:

When you let go of the elastic band, it flew off somewhere with 0.1J of kinetic energy. That kinetic energy couldn't have just 'appeared' from somewhere; the energy was stored as potential energy in the elastic band as you were stretching it. When you let go of the elastic band, this potential energy was turned into kinetic.

Does that make sense?

Brilliant :D

Thanks alot, for your help & patience :)

Phykid said:
Brilliant :D

Thanks alot, for your help & patience :)
No problem :smile:

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is a type of potential energy that is stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. This type of energy is a result of the object's ability to return to its original shape after being stretched or compressed.

2. How is elastic potential energy related to rubber bands?

Rubber bands are made of a material that can be easily stretched and compressed. When a rubber band is stretched, it stores elastic potential energy. This energy is released when the rubber band returns to its original shape.

3. How is elastic potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating elastic potential energy is: E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. In the case of a rubber band, k represents the elasticity of the material and x represents the amount the rubber band has been stretched.

4. Can elastic potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, elastic potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, when the object returns to its original shape. In the case of a rubber band, this would be seen as the rubber band snapping back into its original shape and releasing the stored energy.

5. What are some real-life applications of elastic potential energy stored in rubber bands?

Rubber bands are commonly used in slingshots, which use the stored elastic potential energy to launch objects. They are also used in exercise equipment, such as resistance bands, which utilize the elastic potential energy to provide resistance for muscle strengthening. Additionally, elastic potential energy is used in everyday items like hair ties, bungee cords, and rubber band-powered toys.