Elastomer Mechanical Properties

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a resource that can provide basic material property information for common elastomers, specifically Neoprene, for flat gasket joint analysis. The use of a basic material and durometer is common practice, but the speaker is unsure if this is enough to obtain meaningful data. A suggestion is made to try www.matweb.com and the ANSYS materials are also mentioned, although they may be more geared towards shock analysis. A reference to the Mie-Gruneisen equation of state is provided as a potential resource.
Andronicus1717
Specifically I'm looking for a resource that can provide me with basic material property information for common elastomers such as Neoprene(R) for the purposes of flat gasket joint analysis. Stress/strain curves and other such data would be very helpful.

I understand that elastomers material properties can vary greatly based on a great many things however common practice is to specify a basic material and a durometer i.e. Neoprene 50-60 durometer Shore A. Is such information enough to get meaningful material property data?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I checked the ANSYS materials which has NEOPRENE listed for explicit analysis. The data is more for shock analysis than what I think you need, but just in case.

Density: 1.439 g cm^-3
Shock Equation of State Linear
Gruneisen Coefficient - 1.39
Parameter C1 - 2785 m s^-1
Parameter S1 - 1.419
Parameter Quadratic S2 - 0 s m^-1

I have never used this stuff, but here is a reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mie-Gruneisen_equation_of_state

just in case it's helpful.

Related to Elastomer Mechanical Properties

1. What is an elastomer?

An elastomer is a type of polymer that has the ability to stretch and return to its original shape after being deformed. It is characterized by its high elasticity and resilience, making it useful for a wide range of applications.

2. What are the mechanical properties of elastomers?

The mechanical properties of elastomers include elasticity, resilience, flexibility, and compressibility. These properties are a result of their unique molecular structure, which allows them to undergo large deformations without breaking or losing their shape.

3. How are the mechanical properties of elastomers measured?

The mechanical properties of elastomers are typically measured through tensile testing, where a sample of the material is stretched to its breaking point. Other tests, such as compression testing and hardness testing, can also be used to evaluate the mechanical properties of elastomers.

4. What factors affect the mechanical properties of elastomers?

The mechanical properties of elastomers can be affected by various factors, including the type of polymer used, the molecular weight and structure of the polymer, the temperature and environment in which it is used, and the presence of additives or fillers.

5. What are the applications of elastomer mechanical properties?

The unique mechanical properties of elastomers make them useful in a wide range of applications, such as in automotive and aerospace industries for seals and gaskets, in medical devices for tubing and prosthetics, and in consumer products like clothing and footwear for elasticity and comfort.