Election of cut placement for Shear flow -- Hibbeler's example

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of shear flow at a segment in Hibbeler's Mechanics of Materials (ninth edition). The speaker mentions that any cut can be chosen as long as there is symmetry, but the choice of cut can affect the value of the shear flow. The speaker also notes that the second moment of area has a greater influence on the stress flow than the first moment of area.
arestes
TL;DR Summary
Hibbeler's exercise 7.5 uses a cut for computing shear flow q at a junction. However, if I choose another cut, the shear flow turns out zero. Is there a rule for choosing a good cut? Other than not getting zero.
Hello. I am reading Hibbeler's Mechanics of Materials (ninth edition). Example 7.5 computes shear flow at a segment where there are nails attached to different boards.
He chooses a cut like the one shown here:
book cuts like this.jpg

And gets (by symmetry between C and C') the shear flow q computing the first moment of area Q and the location of the cut area y.

However, I believe on can choose any cut and it will be useful as long as there is symmetry (so as to argue that the shear flow is twice the required one and dividing by two if there are two places where the cut passes through). If I choose this cut:
shear flow cut.jpg

I get y (location of the centroid of the cut area) equal to zero, rendering my Q null. This isn't right.
I am looking to understand what limitations I have, or if there's any rule as to what cuts should be chosen. Or maybe if I'm doing something straight right wrong.

Thanks for any insights.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The shear is caused by the vertical bending of the beam, which cross section is represented.
Each of those cuts dramatically modifies the first and the second moments of area about the neutral axis N-A of the cross-section.

As the second moment of area depends on the square of distance y measured between axis N-A and the centroid of each cut area, its influence on the stress flow is greater than the influence of the first moment of area.
Cuts made farther from the neutral axis should induce a smaller value of shear flow.

1. What is shear flow in structural engineering?

Shear flow is the distribution of shear stress along the cross-section of a structural member, caused by external forces acting on the member. It is an important consideration in the design of beams and other structural elements.

2. What is the significance of Hibbeler's example in the election of cut placement for shear flow?

Hibbeler's example is a widely used benchmark problem in structural engineering that illustrates the process of determining the optimal location for a cut in a beam to minimize shear flow. It helps engineers understand the concept of shear flow and its application in real-world scenarios.

3. How is the election of cut placement for shear flow determined?

The election of cut placement for shear flow is determined by analyzing the shear flow distribution along the cross-section of a beam and finding the location where it is most uniform. This is typically achieved through mathematical calculations and graphical methods.

4. What factors influence the election of cut placement for shear flow?

The election of cut placement for shear flow is influenced by several factors, including the geometry and loading conditions of the structural member, the material properties, and the desired level of accuracy in the analysis. Other factors, such as cost and construction constraints, may also be considered in practical applications.

5. How does the election of cut placement for shear flow affect the overall structural design?

The election of cut placement for shear flow can have a significant impact on the overall structural design, as it can affect the distribution of stresses and the overall strength and stability of the structure. Therefore, it is an important consideration in the design process and can help ensure the safety and efficiency of the structure.