Electric charges and fields: Crossed dipoles

In summary: For the dipole along x-axis, the point (a,0) lies on the x-axis and the electric field is along + x axis.
Ujjwal28

Homework Statement

Two short dipoles each of dipole moment p are placed art origin. The dipole moment of one dipole is along x-axis while that of other is along y axis. Then what will be the electric field at a point (a, 0)?

Homework Equations

The direction of electric field due to axial dipole has to be along +ve x-axis while electric field due to equatorial dipole should be towards -ve x axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

So shouldn't the net electric field at (a, 0) be
E=2kp/a3-kp/a3
Well the answer is k50.5p/a3.can someone please explain where I am wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the direction of the electric field due to a dipole along the equatorial direction.

Ok isn't the direction of electric field at equatorial line anti parallel to that of direction of electric filed at axial line?
Where am I wrong?

Ujjwal28 said:
Ok isn't the direction of electric field at equatorial line anti parallel to that of direction of electric filed at axial line?
Where am I wrong?
Yes. Check it again.

Ok so is it perpendicular to the direction of electric field on axial line?

Yes. Along -y axis. Now calculate net electric field at ( a,0)

Ok do I the electric field due to axial line is taken to be from left to right i.e along +ve x-axis , will the electric field due to axial line be perpendicular towards +ve y axis? And then adding the two fields vectorially I get the answer?

Ujjwal28 said:
Ok do I the electric field due to axial line is taken to be from left to right i.e along +ve x-axis , will the electric field due to axial line be perpendicular towards +ve y axis? And then adding the two fields vectorially I get the answer?
Check this statement

Sorry can you explain?

Ujjwal28 said:
Sorry can you explain?
For the dipole along y-axis, the point ( a,0 ) lies on the equatorial line and the electric field is along - y axis.

1. What are electric charges?

Electric charges are fundamental properties of matter that can either be positive or negative. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

2. What is a dipole in relation to electric charges?

A dipole in relation to electric charges is a system consisting of two equal and opposite charges that are separated by a distance. This creates a dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength and orientation of the dipole.

3. What is the concept of crossed dipoles?

The concept of crossed dipoles refers to the interaction between two dipoles that are perpendicular to each other. This can result in complex electric fields and can be used to study the behavior of electric charges and fields in different situations.

4. How does the orientation of crossed dipoles affect the electric field?

The orientation of crossed dipoles affects the electric field by creating complex patterns of electric field lines. The strength and direction of the electric field at a point will depend on the relative orientation of the two dipoles.

5. What are some real-life applications of crossed dipoles?

Crossed dipoles have several real-life applications, such as in radio antennas, where they are used to create a directional radiation pattern. They are also used in microscopy techniques to manipulate and study charged particles. Additionally, crossed dipoles are used in the design of electronic devices such as capacitors and transistors.