Electric current - High voltage power lines buzzing

In summary, the buzzing sound emitted by high voltage power lines is caused by the electromechanical effect known as the Lorentz force. This force is a result of the magnetic fields created by the alternating current in the power cables, causing the wires to vibrate and produce the buzzing sound. This principle is also used in electric motors, where the interaction between magnetic fields and electric current causes movement. The buzzing sound can also be attributed to corona discharge in wet weather.
alicia113
Electric current -- High voltage power lines buzzing

Question:

High voltage power lines string along roads often give off a faint buzzing sound. Use what you know about the motor principle to explain the source buzzing.

ok, so i have no idea how to approach this. I've never heard the buzzing around high voltage lines, but i am guessing it has something to do with the metal around it? i don't really know can someone please help me !

Physics news on Phys.org

do you know how an electric motor works... current in a wire in a magnetic field moves !
Power cables have AC current flowing in them, The current creates magnetic fields,... does this give any clues?

truesearch said:
do you know how an electric motor works... current in a wire in a magnetic field moves !
Power cables have AC current flowing in them, The current creates magnetic fields,... does this give any clues?

Unfortunately no :( ok in going to take a guess here the current moves on way and the electro magnetic field hits other wires causing them to vibrate ?

alicia113 said:
Question:

High voltage power lines string along roads often give off a faint buzzing sound. Use what you know about the motor principle to explain the source buzzing.

ok, so i have no idea how to approach this. I've never heard the buzzing around high voltage lines, but i am guessing it has something to do with the metal around it? i don't really know can someone please help me !

alicia113 said:
Unfortunately no :( ok in going to take a guess here the current moves on way and the electro magnetic field hits other wires causing them to vibrate ?

You are close to correct in your guess, at least with the question worded the way it is. There can be two sources of noise from HV powerlines -- the electromechanical effect that you are trying to describe, and a more common one that is more apparent in wet weather:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_discharge

To better describe the electromechanical effect, does your textbook describe the Lorentz force at all? How about the forces between parallel wires carrying currents?

Nope nothing It's out home summer school course and each unit/lesson is about 6 to 7 pages of information so there's nothing on it

alicia113 said:
Nope nothing It's out home summer school course and each unit/lesson is about 6 to 7 pages of information so there's nothing on it

What level in school is this? Is it high school or first year college? Have you had trig? How much calculus have you had?

The wikipedia page on the Lorentz force has several levels of math explanations...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

(and scroll down to the section on "Force on a current carrying wire"...)

alicia113 said:
Question:

Hmmm, I´d never thought of the motor principal being involved in power line hum, not even in a tiny way. It would be interesting to determine whether the contribution by this means is discernible.

Though the premise itself is sound*.

‡ no pun intended
* ditto

berkeman said:
What level in school is this? Is it high school or first year college? Have you had trig? How much calculus have you had?

The wikipedia page on the Lorentz force has several levels of math explanations...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_force

(and scroll down to the section on "Force on a current carrying wire"...)

High school grade 11. It is an at home physics course so I'm teaching myself. So it's hard. And ok will do. I'll check it out and post later what I get!

NascentOxygen said:
Hmmm, I´d never thought of the motor principal being involved in power line hum, not even in a tiny way. It would be interesting to determine whether the contribution by this means is discernible.

Though the premise itself is sound*.

‡ no pun intended
* ditto

do you think what i said earlier would be correct in some ways?

alicia113 said:
do you think what i said earlier would be correct in some ways?
Sure.

Are you getting close to being able to answer the question in your post #1 here?

Perhaps you are not sure what is meant by the motor principle? Well, it relates to wires carrying electric current. If these conductors are near each other, the magnetic field around each will cause an attraction (or maybe repulsion) by the other.

Last edited:

1. What is electricity and how is it generated?

Electricity is a form of energy that is created when electrons flow through a conductor. It is typically generated by converting energy from a source such as coal, natural gas, or nuclear reactions into electrical energy. This is done through power plants that use generators to produce electricity.

2. What is high voltage and why is it used?

High voltage refers to the amount of electrical potential energy in a system. It is used to transmit electricity over long distances without significant loss of energy. This is because higher voltages allow for lower currents, which means less energy is lost due to resistance in the power lines.

3. Why do power lines buzz?

Power lines can buzz due to the vibration of the wires caused by the flow of electricity. This can also be caused by wind or other external factors. Additionally, some power lines are designed to vibrate to reduce the risk of damage from ice or heavy snow.

4. Is it dangerous to live near high voltage power lines?

The electromagnetic fields (EMF) produced by high voltage power lines have been a topic of debate for many years. However, the majority of scientific studies have not found any conclusive evidence that living near power lines is harmful to human health. The U.S. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences states that the scientific evidence does not support a link between EMF exposure and adverse health effects.

5. How are high voltage power lines maintained?

High voltage power lines require regular maintenance to ensure they are operating safely and efficiently. This includes routine inspections, repairs, and upgrades as needed. Helicopter and drone inspections are often used to check the condition of power lines and identify any potential issues. In addition, vegetation management is crucial to prevent tree branches from coming into contact with power lines, which could cause power outages or fires.