Heating Effect of Electric Current-Transmit at High Voltage

In summary: In fact, the voltage at the source is usually much higher than the voltage at the destination. So when people try to equate voltage and current, they're really comparing apples to oranges.
Cecilia B

Homework Statement

Why is it inefficient to use low voltage when transmitting electricity?

Homework Equations

P∝i2
P=Vi
H=Vit
P=Ri2
E/ti2=V/i
These are all basically the same few formulas, but I wrote down all iterations of them.
Anything from Joule's Law/Joule Heating

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the solution is because when current is high, there is a greater amount of heat loss. When voltage is low, current is high, and vice versa. Therefore we transmit at high voltage and low current. But upon looking at the formulas and trying to understand how they fit in with this explanation, I simply cannot wrap my head around it. I feel like there is a fundamental part of Joule's Law that I am misunderstanding.

Here's what I did:
Joule's Law states P∝i2 when we hold Resistance constant
∴P=Ri2
∴E/t=Ri2
∴E(heat loss)=Ri2t where we can replace "R" with Ohm's Law (R=V/i)
∴E=Vi2t/i we can cancel the i
∴E=Vit however in this situation, increasing voltage will also increase the heat loss as they are all being multiplied together. Why would we transmit at high voltage then?

Alternatively we could say that E=Ri2t and hold i2 and t constant
∴E∝R
∴E∝V/i and in this case, increasing current would actually decrease heat loss while increasing voltage would increase heat loss.

What I don't understand is why we transmit at high voltage given these formulas. I also don't understand where we got the fact that a high voltage means low current and vice versa. Somehow the logic would fit if E∝i/V but that's not true. I feel like I have missed something obvious, but if someone could explain, I'd be very grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Say you are delivering power to a city. Let Req be the equivalent resistance of the entire city. Would you expect its value to be higher than that of your transmission lines or lower?

kuruman said:
Say you are delivering power to a city. Let Req be the equivalent resistance of the entire city. Would you expect its value to be higher than that of your transmission lines or lower?
I'm not quite sure I understand...but wouldn't the entire city have a larger resistance than the transmission lines?

Edit: Okay, I've been thinking a bit more. Does this make sense?

P=E/t
∴E=Pt
∴E=Ri2t
Energy can also be written as heat energy so
∴mcΔθ=Ri2t
Hold mass, SHC, resistance, and time constant, so we can say
∴Δθ∝i2
Now given P=Ri2 and P=Vi we can say that if we increase voltage, we can have a lower current to produce the same amount of power. Also with lower current, we have less heat loses, which means less energy lost as well. That's why it's more efficient to use high voltage.

Is that correct?

Last edited:
Likes CWatters
Cecilia B said:
Now given P=Ri2 and P=Vi we can say that if we increase voltage, we can have a lower current to produce the same amount of power. Also with lower current, we have less heat loses, which means less energy lost as well. That's why it's more efficient to use high voltage.
That is the argument.

kuruman said:
That is the argument.
Thanks!

Cecilia B said:
But upon looking at the formulas and trying to understand how they fit in with this explanation, I simply cannot wrap my head around it.

The problem most people have is that there are three different places in the circuit where these formula can be applied... the source (generator), the destination (load) and the wire in between. The "V" in the formula is different for all three.

What is the heating effect of electric current?

The heating effect of electric current is the phenomenon where electric energy is converted into heat energy as it passes through a conductor. This is due to the resistance of the conductor, which causes the electrons to collide and transfer their kinetic energy into heat energy.

How does electric current transmit at high voltage?

Electric current transmits at high voltage through a process called step-up transformation. In this process, the voltage is increased using a transformer, which allows for the efficient transmission of electricity over long distances. This is because higher voltages experience less resistance and therefore lose less energy as heat during transmission.

What are the potential dangers of high voltage transmission?

High voltage transmission can be dangerous as it can cause electric shock and damage to electrical equipment. It can also lead to power outages and disruptions in the electrical grid. Therefore, proper safety measures and precautions must be taken when dealing with high voltage electricity.

How does the heating effect of electric current affect the efficiency of appliances?

The heating effect of electric current can decrease the efficiency of appliances as it results in energy loss and wasted heat. This can cause appliances to overheat and potentially malfunction. To improve efficiency, it is important to use conductors with low resistance and to properly insulate and ventilate appliances.

How is the heating effect of electric current utilized in everyday life?

The heating effect of electric current is utilized in various everyday applications, such as in electric stoves, heaters, and toasters. It is also used in industrial processes, such as welding and smelting. In addition, electric current is often used to power heating devices, such as hairdryers and electric blankets.