Electric dipole in Uniform Electric Field (3D)

In summary, you rotated the electric dipole on xz-plane, yz-plane and z-axis. You applied a torque on the dipole to keep it in the final orientation.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An electric dipole with magnitude ##p = 0.2Cm## is placed inside a uniform electric field of ##\vec{E} = 100\vec{i} + 70\vec{j} + 40\vec{k} \frac {N} {C}##. The dipole was initially pointing along the +x direction. You then start to rotate it first on xz-plane towards the z-axis. After it is aligned with the z-axis, you rotate it on the yz-plane towards the y-axis. At the final moment, the dipole is aligned parallel to the +y axis.
(a) What is the total work done by you during this process?
(b)In the final orientation, the electric field applies a torque ~ τ on the dipole. As you want to keep the dipole in this orientation, you apply another torque ~ τhand to prevent it from rotating. Find both torques.

Homework Equations

##\vec {τ}=\vec {p}x\vec {E}##
##W=τΔθ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Our dipole moment is ##\vec {p}=(0,2\vec{i})## and ##\vec{E} = 100\vec{i} + 70\vec{j} + 40\vec{k} \frac {N} {C}## is so
##\vec{τ}=\vec {p} x \vec {E}=(-8\vec{j}+14\vec{k})## and the magnitude is ##16.1Nm##
Its uniform electric field so I think we don't need an integral.Or the integral becomes
##W=τΔθ##
In the first rotation The electric field wlll going to rotate the dipole.But I think we need an extra torque to make it turn just 90 degree so I am little bit confused after here.I think I don't have enough info to calculate the torque done by me or work ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your use of the work equation is incorrect. The torque ##\vec{p} \times \vec{E}## is not constant because the dipole moment changes direction relative to the field. Remember that the electric force is conservative, so consider using the change in potential energy.

kuruman said:
Your use of the work equation is incorrect. The torque ##\vec{p} \times \vec{E}## is not constant because the dipole moment changes direction relative to the field. Remember that the electric force is conservative, so consider using the change in potential energy.
But we define potantial energy over work right ? Yeah you are right ##\veac {p}## will change with time.

That does not look correct. Can you show me how you got that number?

kuruman said:
That does not look correct. Can you show me how you got that number?
Yeah I saw that...I am tired I did a lot of physics today..I ll reply when I feel I can conti.

No problem. Get some rest and clear your head.

Likes Arman777
Arman777 said:
12 j ?
Better, but still not correct. How did you get this number?

##U=\vec {-p}⋅\vec{E}## First position gave me ##U_i=-20J## and ##U_f=-8## so ##ΔU=12J##

Arman777 said:
At the final moment, the dipole is aligned parallel to the +y axis.
I agree with the Ui but not with Uf. It looks like you assumed that the dipole ends up aligned parallel to the +z-axis instead of the +y axis as the problem statement specifies.

kuruman said:
I agree with the Ui but not with Uf. It looks like you assumed that the dipole ends up aligned parallel to the +z-axis instead of the +y axis as the problem statement specifies.
I was trying to calculate just firstt rotation.I never thought second rotation

Arman777 said:
ΔU=6j
Correct. Now what is total work done by the external agent (you) in this case?

Wait its 6 j again

Arman777 said:
Wait its 6 j again
Yes, - 6 J (the negative of ΔU) is the work done by the electric force. The work done by you is the negative of that, therefore equal to ΔU.
Your answer to part (b) is not OK. In the final orientation the dipole moment is in the y-direction. Your torque shows a component in the y-direction and that cannot be correct. You need to redo the cross product.

kuruman said:
Yes, - 6 J (the negative of ΔU) is the work done by the electric force. The work done by you is the negative of that, therefore equal to ΔU.
Your answer to part (b) is not OK. In the final orientation the dipole moment is in the y-direction. Your torque shows a component in the y-direction and that cannot be correct. You need to redo the cross product.
Then its ##0.2jxE=τ## ? İts the applied torque by electrric field.The work done by hand will be equal to The rotation energy minusThe work done by electrci field ?

Arman777 said:
Then its 0.2jxE=τ0.2jxE=τ ? İts the applied torque by electrric field.The work done by hand will be equal to The rotation energy minusThe work done by electrci field ?
There is no work involved in part (b). You are holding the dipole with your hand fixed in space (in equilibrium). There is a ##\vec{\tau}_{elec.}=\vec{p} \times \vec{E}##, the torque exerted by the electric field. That's one torque you have to find. The other torque you have to find is ##\vec{\tau}_{hand}##, the torque exerted by your hand.

I didnt understand the question its Like learning rotation first time.I can put numbers İn trying maybe but I didnt understand the logic :/

Do you understand what one means when one says that an object is in static equilibrium? It is important for you to understand this because the dipole is in static equilibrium in part (b).

U is in its min value in static eq.Thats all I know.I didnt even see that it was in static equibilirium position.

Arman777 said:
U is in its min value in static eq.
That's part of the story and works only if all the forces acting on an object are conservative, i.e. they can be derived from a potential. A more general statement is that when an object is in static equilibrium, (a) the sum of all the forces acting on it is zero; (b) the sum of all the torques acting on it is zero. Can you use this idea to answer part (b) of the problem?

##τ_{hand}=τ_{field}## ?

Not quite. The net torque must be zero which implies what relation of one relative to the other?

Theres negative sigb

Yes. One is the negative of the other. So now ou can calculate both of them.

so p will be in the +y direction and I will multply by E and it would be the electrci torque minus one would be the torque by hand ?

Arman777 said:
so p will be in the +y direction and I will multply by E and it would be the electrci torque minus one would be the torque by hand ?
If by "multiply" you mean "take the cross product", the answer is "yes."

yeah cross product.Ok then I think its solved...Thanks a lot

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite electric charges separated by a small distance. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used to describe the behavior of molecules, atoms, and other electrically charged particles.

2. How does an electric dipole behave in a uniform electric field?

In a uniform electric field, an electric dipole experiences a torque that causes it to align itself with the direction of the field. This is known as the "dipole moment" and is a measure of the strength of the dipole.

3. What is the equation for the dipole moment?

The dipole moment (p) is equal to the magnitude of one of the charges (q) multiplied by the distance between them (d): p = qd. It is usually measured in units of Coulomb-meters (Cm).

4. How does the electric field affect the potential energy of an electric dipole?

The potential energy of an electric dipole in a uniform electric field is given by the equation U = -pEcosθ, where E is the strength of the electric field and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field. As the angle changes, the potential energy also changes, with a minimum potential energy occurring when the dipole is aligned with the field.

5. What is the significance of electric dipoles in real-world applications?

Electric dipoles play a crucial role in many real-world applications, such as in electronic devices, capacitors, and molecular interactions. They also play a significant role in the behavior of materials, such as in the polarization of dielectric materials and the creation of electric fields in conductors.