Electric Dipole Potential Difference Calculation for a Polarized Carbon Atom

In summary, the question involves determining the potential difference across a polarized carbon atom, which is essentially a physical dipole. The attempt at a solution involves finding the potential at both ends of the dipole and taking the difference, but the presence of charges at the ends complicates the calculation.
airbauer33
[SOLVED] Electric Dipole

Homework Statement

I have an carbon atom polarized so it is essentially a physical dipole. I know the spacing between the "two charges" and I know what the charges are. I need to determine the potential difference across the polarized atom.

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I need to determine the potential at both ends of the physical dipole and then find the difference between them. However, there are charges at the ends, so if I try to find the potential at the ends, it is infinity. I must be thinking about this wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they just want the pot at one charge due to the other.

Related to Electric Dipole Potential Difference Calculation for a Polarized Carbon Atom

1. How is the electric dipole potential difference calculated for a polarized carbon atom?

The electric dipole potential difference for a polarized carbon atom is calculated by determining the distance between the positive and negative charges within the atom and multiplying it by the strength of the electric field.

2. What factors affect the electric dipole potential difference of a polarized carbon atom?

The electric dipole potential difference of a polarized carbon atom is affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, as well as the distance between the positive and negative charges within the atom.

3. How does the electric dipole potential difference change when the carbon atom is polarized?

When a carbon atom is polarized, the electric dipole potential difference increases as the positive and negative charges within the atom become separated and create a larger difference in potential energy.

4. How can the electric dipole potential difference of a polarized carbon atom be used in practical applications?

The electric dipole potential difference of a polarized carbon atom can be used in various applications, such as in capacitors and sensors, to measure and control the electric field and potential energy.

5. Can the electric dipole potential difference of a polarized carbon atom be negative?

Yes, the electric dipole potential difference of a polarized carbon atom can be negative if the positive and negative charges within the atom are separated in opposite directions, resulting in a negative potential energy difference.