Force between electric dipoles along the dipole axis

In summary, the homework statement explains that two dipoles, each with a charge of -q and +q, will have a force between them due to the Coulomb force law. The Attempt at a Solution calculates the forces between the charges using the equation E(dipole) = 2kqs/r^3, and then adds the two forces. The My teacher just told me to do it differently by calculating four forces using coulomb's law. How do binomial approximations work, I know how to do regular binomial expansions. Doing it this way, I think you will need to go beyond the binomial expansion (i.e., beyond first order in the small quantity s/r). Finally
NihalRi

Homework Statement

Compute the force between two identical dipoles. See Problem P63 on page 544 to set up the problem. Explain why this result makes sense by comparing it to the force between two point charges and the force between a point charge and a dipole, in terms of the relationship to the distance between the two objects.
P64 shows the two dipoles that are parallel and in the same orientation, separated by a distance r from their centers and have a distance of s between them. The charges that make up the dipole are -q and +q.

Homework Equations

E(dipole)=2kqs/r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would calculate the force on each charge of the dipole on the right by using the equation above and F=Eq. Then I would add the two. For r, I'm confused about weather I should use (r+s/2) and (r-s/2).When I tried this, I couldn't find a way to simplify to the desired answer which I know is 6kq^2s^2/r^4.
Thanks so much for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
NihalRi said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would calculate the force on each charge of the dipole on the right by using the equation above and F=Eq. Then I would add the two.
Sounds good.
For r, I'm confused about weather I should use (r+s/2) and (r-s/2). When I tried this, I couldn't find a way to simplify to the desired answer which I know is 6kq^2s^2/r^4.
I think you have a good approach. The "binomial approximation" might be of use.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_approximation

Likes NihalRi
TSny said:
Sounds good. I think you have a good approach. The "binomial approximation" might be of use.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_approximation
My teacher just told me to do it differently by calculating four forces using coulomb's law. How do binomial approximations work, I know how to do regular binomial expansions.

NihalRi said:
My teacher just told me to do it differently by calculating four forces using coulomb's law. How do binomial approximations work, I know how to do regular binomial expansions.
Doing it this way, I think you will need to go beyond the binomial expansion (i.e., beyond first order in the small quantity s/r).

Let's see your expressions for the forces on each charge of the dipole on the right.

Likes NihalRi
TSny said:
Doing it this way, I think you will need to go beyond the binomial expansion (i.e., beyond first order in the small quantity s/r).

Let's see your expressions for the forces on each charge of the dipole on the right.

TSny said:

WIN_20161003_21_23_22_Pro.jpg

OK, this looks correct for the net force on the dipole. You need to approximate this expression using the condition that s << r; or, equivalently, s/r << 1. Can you manipulate each of the last two terms in F so that they are expressed in terms of the small quantity s/r?

Last edited:
TSny said:
OK, this looks correct for the next force on the dipole. You need to approximate this expression using the condition that s << r; or, equivalently, s/r << 1. Can you manipulate each of the last two terms in F so that they are expressed in terms of the small quantity s/r?
WIN_20161003_22_07_50_Pro.jpg

made an error,
WIN_20161003_22_10_34_Pro.jpg

OK. Looks good. Do you know how to approximate ##\frac{1}{(1+s/r)^2}##?

TSny said:
OK. Looks good. Do you know how to approximate ##\frac{1}{(1+s/r)^2}##?
unfortunately not, does it have something to do with a McLaurin expansion? I couldn't find any clear explanation online.

You're almost there. You have a sign error in the first equation of the second picture. The expansion of ##\frac{1}{(1+s/r)^2}## does not equal the expansion of ##\frac{1}{(1-s/r)^2}##.

I don't quite follow your cancellations in the second equation of the second picture.

TSny said:
You're almost there. You have a sign error in the first equation of the second picture. The expansion of ##\frac{1}{(1+s/r)^2}## does not equal the expansion of ##\frac{1}{(1-s/r)^2}##.

I don't quite follow your cancellations in the second equation of the second picture.
I'll fix the signs :D. I thought that since s is much smaller than r, the terms with s In them will be negligible.

Okay so I fixed the signs and just expanded and found that it simplified to the right answer XD XD XD, thank you so soooo soooo much

Good work!

Likes NihalRi

1. What is the definition of force between electric dipoles along the dipole axis?

The force between electric dipoles along the dipole axis is the repulsive or attractive force that exists between two electric dipoles when they are aligned along the same axis. It is a result of the interaction between the electric fields of the dipoles.

2. How is the force between electric dipoles along the dipole axis calculated?

The force between electric dipoles along the dipole axis can be calculated using the formula F = (p1 * p2) / (4πεr^3), where p1 and p2 are the magnitudes of the electric dipole moments, ε is the permittivity of the medium, and r is the distance between the dipoles.

3. What is the direction of the force between electric dipoles along the dipole axis?

The direction of the force between electric dipoles along the dipole axis depends on the orientation of the dipoles. If the dipoles are oriented in the same direction, the force will be attractive, and if they are oriented in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

4. How does the distance between the dipoles affect the force between electric dipoles along the dipole axis?

The force between electric dipoles along the dipole axis is inversely proportional to the cube of the distance between the dipoles. This means that as the distance increases, the force between the dipoles decreases.

5. What are some real-life applications of the force between electric dipoles along the dipole axis?

The force between electric dipoles along the dipole axis is responsible for various phenomena in everyday life, such as the attraction between water molecules, the formation of hydrogen bonds, and the behavior of molecules in substances like liquid crystals. It is also used in technologies like capacitors and microelectromechanical systems (MEMS).