How Do You Calculate Electric Energy Density Near a Copper Wire?

In summary, to calculate the electric energy density at the surface of a 3.4 mm diameter copper wire carrying a 28 A current, you can use the equation u = (1/2) ε0 E2 and substitute in the equation for the electric field for an infinite line charge. However, you will need to determine the charge density, λ, which can be assumed to be the same as the electric field inside the wire. This can be found by using the properties of copper, the current, and the diameter of the wire to determine the electric field inside the wire.
ooohffff

Homework Statement

Calculate the electric energy density at the surface of a 3.4 mm diameter copper wire carrying a 28 A current.

Homework Equations

u = (1/2) ε0 E2

The Attempt at a Solution

With the electric energy density equation, I substituted in the equation for the electric field for an infinite line charge:

u = (1/2) ε0 ( λ/ (ε0 2 π r ))2

I have all the information except for the charge density, λ. I know that it's a copper wire, but how can I find what λ is with that information?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that you are supposed to assume that the electric field at the surface of the wire is the same as the electric field inside the wire. The electric field inside the wire pushes the electrons through the copper.

Can you determine E inside the wire from the current, the diameter of the wire, and the properties of copper?

Last edited:

What is electric energy density?

Electric energy density is a measure of the amount of electric energy stored in a given volume or space. It is typically measured in joules per cubic meter (J/m^3).

How is electric energy density calculated?

Electric energy density is calculated by dividing the total electric energy stored in a system by the volume of that system. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the square of the distance between two parallel plates.

What factors affect electric energy density?

The main factors that affect electric energy density are the type of material used, the physical dimensions of the system, and the electric field strength. Materials with higher dielectric constants and smaller dimensions typically have higher energy densities.

What are some common units of measurement for electric energy density?

Some common units of measurement for electric energy density include joules per cubic meter (J/m^3), watt-hours per liter (Wh/L), and kilowatt-hours per cubic meter (kWh/m^3).

What is the significance of electric energy density?

Electric energy density is an important concept in the design and optimization of electrical systems and devices. It can help determine the efficiency and performance of a system, as well as guide decisions on the type and size of materials to use. Additionally, understanding electric energy density is crucial in the development of renewable energy technologies.