Is the Electric Field Zero on Equipotential Surfaces with Zero Potential?

In summary: If they are moving in all directions, the system is in equilibrium, but if some of the charges are moving in one direction and some in another, then the system isn't in equilibrium and there is an electric field. The electric field is perpendicular to any surface of constant potential, so in an equilibrium situation there is no current flowing through the conductor.
stunner5000pt
These question came on a test of mine recently all one after another so it surprises me how the first and second one as so similar (i think)

Determine the electric field on the equipotential surface V=0, and verify that it is perpendicular to this surface at all points on this surface

now since V = 0 , then [itex] \int E ds = 0 [/itex]
So does this mean that the electric field is zero?? Something with zero potential surely has an electric field...
Since V = 0 , then E must be perpendicular to the element of the length of this surface ds, thus E is perpendicular to all s o nthsi surrface.
But is the electric field simply [itex] \frac{q}{\epsilon_{0} A} [/itex]
Where q is the enclosed charge in this surface?

Given that the electric field is conservative i.e. E(r) dr = -dV(r)

Prove that hte electric field lines are perpendicular to the equipotential surfaces at every points on the equipotential surfaces

not quite sure to do here... is nt the answer from the above question the same as this one??

Verify that the surraces of conductors (at equilibrium) are equipotential surfaces

completely clueless on ths ione... does this use the fact taht i = q/t ? But what is meant by the equilibrium state here??

Than kyou for any help and advice you can offer!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
stunner5000pt,

Remember that the zero of potential has no physical meaning, in particular the result
[tex]
\int^f_i \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{r} = V_i - V_f
[/tex]
is clearly insensitive to constant shifts in both the initial and final potentials. Simply knowing the potential is zero on one surface is not enough to determine the electric field. What other information where you given?

What you can say in general, without any knowledge of the charge distributution, is that the electric field is perpendicular to any surface of constant potential (why?).

For the conductors, what does equilibrium usually mean?

no other info is given
i typed the question exactly how it appeared in my test
What you can say in general, without any knowledge of the charge distributution, is that the electric field is perpendicular to any surface of constant potential (why?).
i'm not quite what you mena to say here..

DOes equilibrium mean that there is no current flowing through the conductor?

Well something doesn't add up on that first question. Simple being told the potential is some value on one surface is insufficient to calculate the electric field. I guess your teacher just wants you to write it in terms of charge enclosed as you've done. If this is true, then your answer to part one is fine though you might want to clean things up a bit. Just remember that the value of the potential has no meaning, only potential differences are defined. The only important thing here is that the potential is constant on the surface.

You already essentially proved that the electric field is perpendicular to any surface of constant potential in part one of your answer.

Yes, that is what equilibrium means. No charge is flowing, so what does that tell you about the electric field in the conductor and where the charge on a conductor lives?

for this conductor then the charge is distributed evnely throughout. E is calculated by Gauss law??

If the charge were distributed evenly throughout the conductor, what would the electric field be? If your answer is nonzero then won't the charges see an electric field and move (by definition a conductor is an object where charges are free to move). If charges are moving, the system isn't in equilibrium.

Here's a hint: like charges repel each other, they want to be as far away from each other as possible. If they are free to move, where will they go?

Related to Is the Electric Field Zero on Equipotential Surfaces with Zero Potential?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by the presence of electric charges.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of electric charges. When two like charges are brought close together, the electric field between them repels the charges, while two opposite charges will attract each other due to the electric field. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them.

3. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of an electric charge in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction. Electric potential is measured in volts (V) and is represented by the symbol "V".

4. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential and electric field are closely related. The electric potential at a certain point is equal to the electric field at that point multiplied by the distance from a reference point, known as the electric potential reference point. Mathematically, this can be expressed as V = Ed, where V is the electric potential, E is the electric field, and d is the distance from the reference point.

5. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential and electric potential energy are often confused, but they are not the same thing. Electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy of a charged particle or object. In other words, electric potential is a measure of the intensity of an electric field, while electric potential energy is a measure of the work required to move a charged particle against that electric field.