Electric field between two electrodes - Scilab

In summary, the task is to calculate the electric field between two electrodes - one square and one circular - with given dimensions and potentials. The student must identify areas with the highest field value and present plots of the field intensity and potential. The solution should be verified for accuracy and performed for at least three different sizes of square grid. To solve the task in Scilab, the student should define the boundary conditions, create meshes, solve Laplace equations, and present plots of field intensity and potential. Additional tips or explanations may be helpful for the student.
baracoda

Homework Statement

Calculate electric field between two electrodes - one square and one circular. Dimensions of the electrodes are given (diameter a and length of the square side b) as well as their potentials. The square electrode is placed inside the circular one. The student should identify the areas with the highest field value and present plots of the field intensity and of the potential. The accuracy of the solution must be verified. The solution should be performed for at least three different sizes of square grid.

Homework Equations

This is the task I have to do in Scilab. As I have absolutely nothing in common with Physics, please give me any hint. I would appreciate it. Please do not assume that something is obvious for me and explain as to a little kid :)

The Attempt at a Solution

After the research I think I should solve two Laplace equations (in polar and cartesian coordinates) and then sum the results, but I am not sure about that.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will start with the basics:1) I should define the boundary conditions - the potentials of the electrodes. 2) I should create the meshes - divide the area into small cells. 3) Then I should solve the Laplace equation for each cell. 4) After that I should present the plots of field intensity and potential. 5) Finally, I should check the accuracy of my solution. Is that correct? Any other tips are welcome.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles or by external electric fields. It is represented by a vector and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is the electric field between two electrodes calculated?

The electric field between two electrodes can be calculated by dividing the potential difference (voltage) between the two electrodes by the distance between them. This can be expressed mathematically as E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference, and d is the distance between the electrodes.

3. What is the significance of the electric field between two electrodes?

The electric field between two electrodes is significant because it determines the strength and direction of the electric force experienced by charged particles in the vicinity. This is important in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles and in the functioning of electronic devices.

4. How does the shape of the electrodes affect the electric field between them?

The shape of the electrodes can have a significant impact on the electric field between them. For example, if the electrodes are parallel plates, the electric field will be uniform between them. However, if the electrodes are curved or irregularly shaped, the electric field may vary in strength and direction at different points between the electrodes.

5. Can the electric field between two electrodes be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field between two electrodes can be manipulated by changing the voltage or distance between the electrodes. Additionally, the use of conductive materials or insulators between the electrodes can also affect the electric field. This manipulation can be used in various applications, such as in electronic circuit design or in the production of electric fields for scientific experiments.