Electric field created by point charges and conducting plane

In summary, the conversation on Physics Stackexchange discusses the configuration of two positive point charges and a conducting plane. The concept of image charges is introduced, which posits that if the plate extends to infinity, there will be two image charges that cancel out the electric field everywhere. However, it is shown that this is not true and the field is not zero, as the image charges are not physically present but used as a mathematical trick. The conversation also discusses the importance of boundary conditions and provides a solution using image charges. The concept of "mirror charges" is further explored and a new answer is referenced, which explains how the force on the charges changes when an infinite conducting plate is placed between them. Ultimately, it is concluded that the force does
KV71
I came upon this:
http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...change-if-we-place-a-metal-plat/323006#323006

question on Physics Stackexchange which I found very interesting.

The configuration is basically two positive point charges q and a conducting plane equidistant from both charges. What I found most fascinating in particular, is one answer that claims

"if the plate is a plane that extends to infinity, there will be two image charges -q at the positions of each of the original positive charges so that the electric field everywhere is zero"

My question is, is this true? If so, could someone explain why or perhaps tell me more about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
KV71 said:
if the plate is a plane that extends to infinity

If the plate extends to infinity, it can get as many cancelling charges as it needs, "from infinity".

@Vanadium 50
So the field everywhere is zero?

I don't think so, because the charge and its image are not in the same place.

I think there are two images and the image for the charge below the conductor is sitting at the position of the charge above the conductor and vice versa.

Fields from the other side of the conductor don't penetrate the conductor.

It's very easy to see, why the field cannot be 0. Just draw a sphere ##V## around one of the postive charges, and use Gauss's Law,
$$\int_{\partial V} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{E}=Q.$$
The key to understand this is that the image charges are not really there, but they are used as a mathematical trick to get the total field consisting of the field of the real charge and the influence charges in the plate, i.e., to fulfill the boundary conditions.

For your example you can easily solve the problem indeed by using image charges. You need to treat only one charge first. Say the infinite plane defines the ##xy## plane of a cartesian coordinate system, and let the charge ##Q## sit on the ##z## axis at ##(0,0,a)## with ##a>0##.

You have to solve the Laplace equation for the potential
$$\Delta \phi=-Q \delta(x) \delta(y) \delta(z-a)$$
with the boundary condition ##\phi=0## for ##z=0##.

Obviously the solution for ##z<0## is ##\phi=0## and for ##z>0## you write down the solution for the field of the true charge ##Q## at ##(0,0,a)## and account for the boundary conditions by substituting the plate by the image charge ##-Q## at ##(0,0,-a)##, because then you solve for sure the Laplace equation and the boundary conditions, i.e., you have
$$\phi(\vec{x})=\begin{cases} 0 & \text{for} \quad z<0, \\
\frac{Q}{4 \pi} \left [\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z-a)^2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z+a)^2}} \right] &\text{for} \quad z>0.
\end{cases}
$$
For the other charge, ##Q'## sitting at ##(0,0,-b)## (##b>0##) you have in an analogous way
$$\tilde{\phi}(\vec{x})=\begin{cases} \frac{Q'}{4 \pi} \left [\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z+b)^2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z-b)^2}} \right] &\text{for} \quad z<0,\\
0 & \text{for} \quad z>0.
\end{cases}
$$
The total field thus is
$$\phi_{\text{tot}}(\vec{x})=
\begin{cases} \frac{Q'}{4 \pi} \left [\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z+b)^2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z-b)^2}} \right ] &\text{for} \quad z<0,\\
\frac{Q}{4 \pi} \left [\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z-a)^2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+(z+a)^2}} \right] & \text{for} \quad z>0.
\end{cases}$$
Now set ##Q'=Q## and ##b=a##, and you see that the field is not 0 also in this symmetric case.

That's a great exercise to understand the role of the "mirror charges"!

Likes Buffu and ShayanJ
Thanks for the very informative and well-written post @vanhees71 . Indeed, I liked this problem too because it has a solution that does not strike me immediately but is actually obvious when I gave it some more thought. Also , the owner of the answer that I referenced in my intro post deleted their answer (must have realized it is wrong) and has posted a new answer--you may look at it (it uses essentially the same method as yours but talks in terms of the field and superposition). After reading it, I am amazed that iafter an infinite conducting plate is placed between two charges, "the force on the charges changes sign". Very interesting indeed.

This is the link for the new answer: http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...point-charges-change-when-an-infinite-conduct

Let me know what you think!

@Vanadium 50 I didn't understand what you meant earlier by
Vanadium 50 said:
Fields from the other side of the conductor don't penetrate the conductor.

but now I understand. The link in my last post #8 helped me. Thanks so much! It turns out you were absolutely right!

1. What is an electric field created by a point charge?

The electric field created by a point charge is a force field that surrounds the charge and exerts a force on other charged particles. The strength and direction of the electric field depend on the magnitude and sign of the charge.

2. How is the strength of the electric field affected by the distance from the point charge?

The strength of the electric field decreases as the distance from the point charge increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge.

3. What is the direction of the electric field created by a point charge?

The direction of the electric field is always radially outward from a positive point charge and radially inward towards a negative point charge. This means that the electric field lines will point away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge.

4. How does a conducting plane affect the electric field created by a point charge?

A conducting plane can affect the electric field in two ways. If the point charge is located above the plane, the conducting plane will act as a mirror and reflect the electric field lines. If the point charge is located below the plane, the conducting plane will shield the electric field and prevent it from passing through.

5. How can the electric field be calculated at a point near a point charge and a conducting plane?

The electric field at a point near a point charge and a conducting plane can be calculated by first calculating the electric field of the point charge using Coulomb's law. Then, the electric field due to the conducting plane can be calculated using the principle of superposition. The total electric field at the point will be the vector sum of these two components.