Electric field generated by ions in a box

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where an ionized gas is in a cylindrical box with gravity acting on it. The ions have different masses and charges, and the system is at a constant temperature. The main question is to determine the distribution of ions in equilibrium and the electric field in the cylinder. Various attempts are made to solve the problem, including considering the density of the gas and charge, using the Bernoulli equation for fluids, and applying the principle of minimizing potential energy. One suggestion is to approach the problem as a Calculus of Variations problem.
Bestfrog

Homework Statement

A ionized gas (overall neutral) is in a cylindrical box with radius ##R## and ##h<<R##, with is main axis along ##\hat{z}## (there is acceleration of gravity ##\vec{g}=-g \hat{z}##). The ions are points: some of mass ##M## and charge ##q>0## (heavy positive ions) and some of mass ##m<M## and charge ##q<0## (light negative ions).
The system is at uniform and constant temperature and we can neglect the fact that ions don't tie themselves. (Sorry for bad English)
What is the distribution of ions in a condition of equilibrium and what is the electric field in the cylinder?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured to put firstly the positive ions. They go on the perimeter of the down face of the cylinder (down because of gravity, on the perimeter because of the Coulomb's force). If I put now the negative ions they are attracted by the positive ones and by gravity (also them would stay on the perimeter) but in this situation positive and negative ions are attached one another. Is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
In other words: if you would do this exercise with neutral molecules, they would all go on the down face of the cylinder ?
Do collect a few relevant equations and list them under 2. !

BvU said:
In other words: if you would do this exercise with neutral molecules, they would all go on the down face of the cylinder ?
No, they don't. If they have a velocity ##\vec{v}##, the components ##v_x ,v_y## change after bumps (on average they remain the same). Only the component ##v_z## is accelerated. But if I search an equilibrium condition, the ions can't be stationary, they have to move with a steady speed, I don't how.

Still don't see no equations. In what section of your textbook is this exercise ?

My first thought was to try modelling it as the positive ions having a linearly reducing density with height, and the negative ions a correspondingly increasing density. You could then calculate the overall electrical and gravitational potential energies. The actual density gradient should be whatever minimises this PE.
However, I don't think this works. The electrical field would not be uniform, I suspect.
Second thought is to try alternating infinitesimal layers of positive and negative, starting with positive at the bottom. Find the layer thickness which minimises the PE.

BvU said:
Still don't see no equations. In what section of your textbook is this exercise ?
I didn't put any equation because I think it is useless until I understand the situation (because the use of equations can change from one situation to another). This is a problem taken from an admission test :)

How can I help you to get under way with this without giving it away ? Admission tests sometimes test ingenuity and creativity instead of sheer knowledge.

In this case I think post #2 contains enough of a hint to point you at barometric height formulas (yes, equations!) and encourage you to somehow combine with electrostatics.

To be fair, I don't have the full answer for you, just try to help.
@haruspex : any interest in this one ?

BvU said:
How can I help you to get under way with this without giving it away ? Admission tests sometimes test ingenuity and creativity instead of sheer knowledge.
You took the point

BvU said:
In this case I think post #2 contains enough of a hint to point you at barometric height formulas (yes, equations!) and encourage you to somehow combine with electrostatics.
Thank you, now I try to write an answer

BvU said:
@haruspex : any interest in this one ?
He already answered me in the section "Introductory Homeworks" (It is a my mistake to put this exercise in that section, but I don't know how to delete a post)

Here I am again: I found that one guy solved it by starting from this formula: ##\rho (z)## density of gas, ##\phi (z)## density of charge. So the equation is $$\rho(z) gz + \phi(z) Ez + \int_z^h \rho(z')g dz' = constant$$ I would like to know where this equation comes from (it is the Bernoulli equation for fluids that don't flow) because on internet I don't find anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bestfrog said:
Here I am again: I found that one guy solved it by starting from this formula: ##\rho (z)## density of gas, ##\phi (z)## density of charge. So the equation is $$\rho(z) gz + \phi(z) Ez + \int_z^h \rho(z')g dz' = constant$$ I would like to know where this equation comes from (it is the Bernoulli equation for fluids that don't flow) because on internet I don't find anything.
Shouldn't there be a γ/(γ-1) factor on the integral? See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli's_principle#Compressible_flow_equation

haruspex said:
I
Second thought is to try alternating infinitesimal layers of positive and negative, starting with positive at the bottom. Find the layer thickness which minimises the PE.
I think that the key idea is that if the gravitational and electric forces act on a ion, the vectorial sum must be 0. So in the stationary state I must impose that the PE is minimum. But how to translate in numbers this idea?

Bestfrog said:
I think that the key idea is that if the gravitational and electric forces act on a ion, the vectorial sum must be 0. So in the stationary state I must impose that the PE is minimum. But how to translate in numbers this idea?
That would be a Calculus of Variations problem. Are you familiar with that subject?

haruspex said:
That would be a Calculus of Variations problem. Are you familiar with that subject?
No, I will study it. Can you show me only the set up?

1. What is an electric field generated by ions in a box?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its vicinity. In a box filled with ions, the ions will create an electric field that is present throughout the entire box.

2. How is an electric field generated by ions in a box?

The electric field is generated by the charged particles, or ions, within the box. Each ion has a positive or negative charge, and these charges create an electric field that extends outwards from the ions.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field generated by ions in a box?

The strength of the electric field is affected by the number of ions in the box, their individual charges, and their distances from one another. The greater the number of ions, the stronger the electric field will be. Additionally, the closer the ions are to each other, the stronger the electric field will be.

4. Why is the electric field generated by ions in a box important?

The electric field generated by ions in a box is important because it can influence the behavior of other charged particles within the vicinity. This can have implications in various scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and biology.

5. How is the electric field generated by ions in a box measured?

The electric field can be measured by using a device called an electric field meter. This device measures the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific point in space. The measurements can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the properties of the ions within the box.