The Effect of Time-Varying Electric Fields on a 2-Level Ion System

In summary: Well in the original post I mentioned an oscillatory electric field (like sinusoidal). You can't have this without a sinusoidal magnetic field being created, right? So the ion will see both anyway. What I had in mind specifically was something along the line of having 2 plates to which I apply a time varying field (with a phase difference of ##\pi## between them) at a given frequency (on the order of kHz). So basically it is like an RF field applied to the ion. I am not sure I totally understand the difference you make between the 2 cases.
Malamala
Hello! If I have an ion which can be treated as a 2 level system, in a time varying electric field (the variation of the field doesn't need to be on or close to resonance, but for simplicity we can assume it is an oscillatory field) can I simply separate the problem into a center of mass motion and an internal 2 level system motion. Basically the ion would move up and down under the influence of the field, but in the ion's rest frame we would just have a normal time varying field, as if the ion wouldn't move at all. Would this work or am I missing some coupling between the internal and external degrees of freedom? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean like in a Paul trap?

Likes Twigg
Yes, it would work as long as the electric field is homogenous, meaning, the value and direction of the electric field is the same everywhere where the ion is embedded. If there is inhomogeneity, then electron cloud and ion core may be pulled differently.
If electric field is very strong, then you may have other effects.

LuisP said:
Yes, it would work as long as the electric field is homogenous, meaning, the value and direction of the electric field is the same everywhere where the ion is embedded. If there is inhomogeneity, then electron cloud and ion core may be pulled differently.
If electric field is very strong, then you may have other effects.
@DrClaude yes. My question was in general but indeed that would be a physical implementations of the system.

@LuisP I assume you mean homogenous in space, as in for a given moment in time, the field in a region completely enclosing the ion is constant in space? What would be the requirements for this? Is a light wavelength much bigger than the atomic size enough?

Malamala said:
@DrClaude yes. My question was in general but indeed that would be a physical implementations of the system.
I was asking because the answer of course depends on the strength of the field. There is of course the Stark effect, but for a typical Paul trap it can be neglected in most cases (an exception might be if you are using the ion as an atomic clock, where even small effects must be accounted for).
Malamala said:
@LuisP I assume you mean homogenous in space, as in for a given moment in time, the field in a region completely enclosing the ion is constant in space? What would be the requirements for this? Is a light wavelength much bigger than the atomic size enough?
Are you talking about electric fields (as mentioned in the OP) or electromagnetic fields? These are different beasts. (To be clear: an electric field is what is created by two charged electrodes, while people usually use "electromagnetic field" to talk about electromagnetic radiation.)

Likes vanhees71
DrClaude said:
I was asking because the answer of course depends on the strength of the field. There is of course the Stark effect, but for a typical Paul trap it can be neglected in most cases (an exception might be if you are using the ion as an atomic clock, where even small effects must be accounted for).
Are you talking about electric fields (as mentioned in the OP) or electromagnetic fields? These are different beasts. (To be clear: an electric field is what is created by two charged electrodes, while people usually use "electromagnetic field" to talk about electromagnetic radiation.)
Well in the original post I mentioned an oscillatory electric field (like sinusoidal). You can't have this without a sinusoidal magnetic field being created, right? So the ion will see both anyway. What I had in mind specifically was something along the line of having 2 plates to which I apply a time varying field (with a phase difference of ##\pi## between them) at a given frequency (on the order of kHz). So basically it is like an RF field applied to the ion. I am not sure I totally understand the difference you make between the 2 cases.

Likes Twigg

1. How do time-varying electric fields affect a 2-level ion system?

The time-varying electric fields can cause transitions between the two energy levels of the ion, altering its quantum state and potentially leading to changes in its behavior and properties.

2. What factors influence the strength of the effect of time-varying electric fields on a 2-level ion system?

The strength of the effect depends on the amplitude, frequency, and duration of the electric fields, as well as the energy difference between the two levels of the ion and the ion's coupling to the electric field.

3. Can the effect of time-varying electric fields on a 2-level ion system be controlled?

Yes, the effect can be controlled by adjusting the parameters of the electric fields, such as the frequency and amplitude, as well as the properties of the ion, such as its energy levels and coupling to the electric field.

4. What applications can the study of the effect of time-varying electric fields on a 2-level ion system have?

The study of this effect has applications in quantum information processing, quantum computing, and quantum sensing. It can also be used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum sensors and quantum simulators.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to the effect of time-varying electric fields on a 2-level ion system?

Some potential limitations include the need for precise control and manipulation of the electric fields and the ion, as well as the potential for decoherence and other sources of error in the system. Additionally, the effects may be difficult to observe and measure in certain situations.