Electric field in different frames of reference

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of special relativity and its application to the electric field in different frames of reference. The speaker studies electromagnetism and their professor uses a specific case to demonstrate that the electric field remains the same in both the original and moving frames. However, when the speaker calculates the electric field for a point charge moving in the x-axis, they get different values for each frame. The speaker used equations for the electric field in both frames and applied Lorentz transformation, but other students argue that the result should have been the same in both frames. The speaker is unsure why they are unable to calculate the electric field using the regular equation, but the conversation ends with a quote from Aperture Science.
tamir
I study electromagnetism and I got to the chapter about special relativity, in this chapter my professor (since we are not using the electromagnetic tensor in this course) used a specific case to show that the electric field parallel to the velocity of a frame of reference stay the same in both the original frame and the moving frame.

However when I look at the given situation of a point charge +q moving in the x-axis with velocity v, relative to a frame called S, and I calculate the electric field in both the S frame and in the point charge frame (S'), I get different values for the electric field in each frame.

Say the particle cross the origin of the S frame at t=0 at the S frame, and at t'=0 in his frame, and we want to calculate the field he generates at (x,0,0) (coordinates of S), what I have done is:
In the S frame I used the regular equation of the electric field of a point charge E=q/x^2 and in the S' frame I also used this equation E'=q/x'^2 and used lorentz transformation and got E'=q/(γ*x)^2.
Other students told me I should have got q/(γ*x)^2 in both frames and from some reason I can't calculate the electric field of the charge in the frame he moving in using E=q/r^2, but I don't know why.

Physics news on Phys.org
aperture science we do what we must because we can.

1. What is an electric field in different frames of reference?

An electric field in different frames of reference refers to the varying measurements of an electric field based on the observer's perspective. This means that the strength and direction of an electric field can appear different to different observers depending on their relative motion.

2. How does the electric field change in different frames of reference?

The electric field changes in different frames of reference due to the principle of relativity. According to this principle, the laws of physics remain the same for all observers in uniform motion. Therefore, the measurements of electric field may differ, but the underlying physical laws governing its behavior remain consistent.

3. Can the electric field be measured in all frames of reference?

Yes, the electric field can be measured in all frames of reference. However, the measurements may vary depending on the observer's relative motion. For instance, a stationary observer may measure a different electric field compared to an observer in motion.

4. How is the electric field calculated in different frames of reference?

The electric field is calculated using the Lorentz transformation equations, which take into account the relative motion between two frames of reference. These equations allow for the conversion of electric field measurements between different frames of reference.

5. What are some real-world applications of considering the electric field in different frames of reference?

One major application is in the study of electromagnetism and the motion of charged particles. By considering the electric field in different frames of reference, scientists can better understand the behavior of charged particles in different scenarios, such as in accelerators or in space. This information is also important for designing and operating devices that utilize electric fields, such as particle accelerators and motors.