Electric Field Inside a Dielectric-Filled Spherical Capacitor

In summary: They are a fundamental building block of the Standard Model.BTW the concept of "holes" is a matter for quantum mechnanics.
BOAS

Homework Statement

A spherical capacitor consists of two concentric spherical conductors of radii ##R_{1}## and ##R_2, (R_2 > R_1)##. The space between the two conductors is filled with a linear inhomogeneous dielectric whose relative permittivity varies with the distance ##r## from the centre of the spheres as ##ε_r(r) = (c + r)/r##, with ##c## a constant. The inner sphere carries a total charge ##q## and the outer conductor is grounded.

Using Gauss’s law in dielectrics, compute the electric field (direction and magnitude) at a distance ##R_1 < r < R_2## from the centre of the spheres.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think the charge on the inner sphere ##q##, can be considered the free charge.

Gauss' law in dielectrics;
##\oint \vec D . d\vec a = q##

I don't know the polarisation vector.
##\vec D = \frac{q}{4 \pi R_1^2} \vec r = \epsilon_0 \vec E + \vec P####\vec D = \epsilon_r \epsilon_0 \vec E##

where ##\epsilon_r = \frac{\epsilon}{\epsilon_0}##

##\vec E = \frac{\vec D}{\epsilon_r \epsilon_0}##

I think that this expression gives me the electric field inside the dielectric, but I am concerned that I have not considered the effect of the grounded outer shell.

Do I need to compute the electric displacement inside the outer shell due to the induced charge on it, and the field inside is the linear super position of the two?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does Gauss's law really say? Does it care about anything ouside the Gaussian surface?

rude man said:
What does Gauss's law really say? Does it care about anything ouside the Gaussian surface?

Ah, I didn't think of that.

Gauss's law in a dielectric says that the flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed free charge. My argument seems reasonable in light of this. Although I notice my choice of gaussian surface (a sphere of radius ##R_1##) should really be a sphere of radius ##r , R_1 < r < R_2##

Last edited:
BOAS said:
Ah, I didn't think of that.

Gauss's law in a dielectric says that the flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed free charge. My argument seems reasonable in light of this. Although I notice my choice of gaussian surface (a sphere of radius ##R_1##) should really be a sphere of radius ##r , R_1 < r < R_2##
Good! Finish and show your work if you care to.

rude man said:
Good! Finish and show your work if you care to.

##\oint \vec D . d\vec a = Q_{fencl}##

I choose a spherical gaussian surface of radius ##r, (R_{1} < r < R_{2})##.

##D(4 \pi r^2) = Q_{fencl}##

##\vec D = \frac{Q_{fencl}}{4 \pi r^{2}} \hat r##

*this step seems fishy to me* ##Q_{fencl} = q## Am I justified in saying that this is the case?

##\vec D = \frac{q}{4 \pi r^{2}} \hat r##

Since I do not know the polarisation vector ##\vec D = \vec E \epsilon_0 + \vec P##, I can rearrange this to get ##\vec D = \epsilon \vec E## where ##\epsilon = \epsilon_r \epsilon_0##

The electric field is therefore ##\vec E = \frac{\vec D}{\epsilon_0 \epsilon_r}##

##\epsilon_r \epsilon_0 = \frac{\epsilon_0 (c + r)}{r}##

##\vec E = \frac{q}{4 \pi r^2} \frac{r}{\epsilon_0 (c + r)} \hat r = \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 (cr + r^2)} \hat r## for ##r, (R_{1} < r < R_{2})##

BOAS said:
##\oint \vec D . d\vec a = Q_{fencl}##

I choose a spherical gaussian surface of radius ##r, (R_{1} < r < R_{2})##.
##D(4 \pi r^2) = Q_{fencl}##
##\vec D = \frac{Q_{fencl}}{4 \pi r^{2}} \hat r##
*this step seems fishy to me* ##Q_{fencl} = q## Am I justified in saying that this is the case?
Why fishy? q is the total free charge within the gaussian surface, is it not?
The rest looks fine! You might, strictly for the sake of elegance, have moved the r out of the denominator parenthesis.

rude man said:
Why fishy? q is the total free charge within the gaussian surface, is it not?
The rest looks fine! You might, strictly for the sake of elegance, have moved the r out of the denominator parenthesis.

The question states that the conductor carries a total charge of q, which I'm imagining as having been added to an electrically neutral conductor. Why is it ok to ignore the electrons in the conduction band of the metal? Is it a case of free charge residing on the surface, and these electrons clearly don't meet that criteria?

Great, thank you.

BOAS said:
The question states that the conductor carries a total charge of q, which I'm imagining as having been added to an electrically neutral conductor. Why is it ok to ignore the electrons in the conduction band of the metal? Is it a case of free charge residing on the surface, and these electrons clearly don't meet that criteria?
Because the conduction-band electrons are equal in number to the positive-charge "holes" left behind, leaving a net charge of q only inside the gaussian surface. It's the net charge that counts.

BTW the concept of "holes" is a matter for quantum mechnanics. Holes are not merely positively charged ions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_hole

rude man said:
Because the conduction-band electrons are equal in number to the positive-charge "holes" left behind, leaving a net charge of q only inside the gaussian surface. It's the net charge that counts.

BTW the concept of "holes" is a matter for quantum mechnanics. Holes are not merely positively charged ions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_hole
Ok, thanks.

I have met holes in the various solid state physics experiments I've done, but haven't taken a QM course yet.

1. What is Gauss' Law in Dielectrics?

Gauss' Law in Dielectrics states that the electric flux through a closed surface in a dielectric material is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of the material.

2. How is Gauss' Law in Dielectrics different from Gauss' Law in free space?

In Gauss' Law in free space, the permittivity of the material is equal to the vacuum permittivity. However, in Gauss' Law in Dielectrics, the permittivity is the product of the vacuum permittivity and the relative permittivity of the dielectric material.

3. What is the significance of Gauss' Law in Dielectrics?

Gauss' Law in Dielectrics is important because it allows us to calculate the electric field inside a dielectric material by knowing the charge distribution and the permittivity of the material. This law is also essential in understanding and analyzing the behavior of capacitors and other electronic devices.

4. Does Gauss' Law in Dielectrics apply to all types of dielectric materials?

Yes, Gauss' Law in Dielectrics applies to all types of dielectric materials, including solid, liquid, and gaseous dielectrics. However, the relative permittivity may vary depending on the type of material.

5. Can Gauss' Law in Dielectrics be used to calculate the electric field outside a dielectric material?

No, Gauss' Law in Dielectrics can only be used to calculate the electric field inside a dielectric material. Outside the material, the electric field is affected by other factors such as the presence of other charges or conductors.