Why Does the Potential Energy Calculation for a Dipole Yield a Negative Value?

In summary, the person in the conversation used an analogy to explain how potential energy is related to electric field. They said that the maximum potential energy is when the electric field is in the same direction as the dipole's field and the minimum potential energy is when the electric field is in the opposite direction.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
A water molecule perpendicular to an electric field has 5.00×10−22 J more potential energy than a water molecule aligned with the field. The dipole moment of a water molecule is 6.2×10−30Cm.

What is the strength of the electric field?
Relevant Equations
U=-pEcos(theta)
So the change in potential energy is ∆U = Uf-Ui. Final minus initial. If i solve the above problem like this I end up with a negative value. The way the person in the attached work solved the problem, is they used ∆U = Ui-Uf. How are the switching Ui and Uf? What is it I am missing?

Attachments

• wrk.png
    wrk.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 183
  • wrkk.png
    wrkk.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 155
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you think it means when it says "aligned"? Can that be in the reverse direction?
Which choice leads to a lower PE than when at right angles?
What angle does that correspond to?

haruspex said:
What exactly do you think it means when it says "aligned"? Can that be in the reverse direction?
Which choice leads to a lower PE than when at right angles?
What angle does that correspond to?

PE is a scalar quantity and so it can be +ve or -ve or 0. If ##PE_1=0 ## and ##PE_2= -5## then ##PE_1 > PE_2##. So, if ##PE = 0## it doesn't mean it's a minimum. ##PE= 0## could be a maximum.
  • Aligned means electric field is in same or opposite direction to dipole moment.
  • Yes, aligned could mean anyone of following two cases: dipole moment and electric field in same direction OR dipole moment and electric field in opposite direction.
  • PE is always lowest in equilibrium position i.e. when no net torque acts on the dipole, which will be when dipole is aligned with electric field according to above bullet point. PE will be maximum at extremes i.e. when dipole moment is perpendicular to electric field.
  • Angle of 0 or 180 degrees between dipole moment and electric field results in lowest PE. Angle of 90 degrees results in highest PE.

vcsharp2003 said:
PE is always lowest in equilibrium position i.e. when no net torque acts on the dipole, which will be when dipole is aligned with electric field according to above bullet point. PE will be maximum at extremes i.e. when dipole moment is perpendicular to electric field.
No, equilibrium does not necessarily correspond to minimum PE. A pencil standing on its point could theoretically be in equilibrium, though highly unstable.
Likewise, though torque is maximised for the dipole in the perpendicular position, PE is not.

Likes vcsharp2003
haruspex said:
No, equilibrium does not necessarily correspond to minimum PE. A pencil standing on its point could theoretically be in equilibrium, though highly unstable.
Likewise, though torque is maximised for the dipole in the perpendicular position, PE is not.
I was thinking of simple harmonic motion analogy where PE is min at equilibrium position i.e. at the middle of extreme positions. So where would PE be a maximum for dipole placed in a uniform electric field? It appears that when ##\theta = 180^o## then ##PE = - | \vec P | | \vec E | \cos {180^0} = | \vec P | | \vec E |## would be maximum since PE at this position takes a +ve value.

Last edited:
vcsharp2003 said:
I was thinking of simple harmonic motion analogy where PE is min at equilibrium position i.e. at the middle of extreme positions. So where would PE be a maximum for dipole placed in a uniform electric field?
Suppose the external field is oriented left to right, i.e. it would push an isolated positive charge to the right. So it would push the positive side of a dipole to the right and the negative side to the left.
Consider the centre of the dipole as fixed, since there is no net force from the external field. The max PE is when each charge has furthest to go, i.e. the positive is on the left, negative on the right. That means the dipole's field is not only parallel to the applied field but acts in the same direction.
The minimum PE is the reverse position, with the two fields in opposition.

haruspex said:
Suppose the external field is oriented left to right, i.e. it would push an isolated positive charge to the right. So it would push the positive side of a dipole to the right and the negative side to the left.
Consider the centre of the dipole as fixed, since there is no net force from the external field. The max PE is when each charge has furthest to go, i.e. the positive is on the left, negative on the right. That means the dipole's field is not only parallel to the applied field but acts in the same direction.
I get it using the mathematical relationship of ##U = - \vec P \cdot \vec E ##, but still trying to understand how you've explained.

haruspex said:

I think I get your explanation. What you're saying is to look at the PE of system consisting of the + and - charges in the two positions shown in diagram below. We could consider that initially the two dipole charges are at center of dipole and then we separate them so each is at a distance ##a## from the center of dipole. Clearly +ve work is being by external force on each +ve and -ve charge as they are separated to their dipole positions in top dipole which means PE is increasing. In bottom dipole, -ve work is being by external force which means PE is decreasing.

IMG_20210927_153247__01.jpg

Last edited:
vcsharp2003 said:
I think I get your explanation. What you're saying is to look at the PE of system consisting of the + and - charges in the two positions shown in diagram below. We could consider that initially the two dipole charges are at center of dipole and then we separate them so each is at a distance ##a## from the center of dipole. Clearly +ve work is being by external force on each +ve and -ve charge as they are separated to their dipole positions in top dipole which means PE is increasing. In bottom dipole, -ve work is being by external force which means PE is decreasing.

View attachment 289767
Yes.

Likes vcsharp2003

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used to describe the behavior of electric fields.

2. How is the electric field of a dipole calculated?

The electric field of a dipole is calculated by adding the individual electric fields of the two charges that make up the dipole. The formula for the electric field of a dipole is E = (1/4πε0) * (q/r2 - q/r2), where q is the magnitude of the charge and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

3. What is the direction of the electric field of a dipole?

The electric field of a dipole points from the positive charge to the negative charge. This means that the direction of the electric field is from the positive charge towards the negative charge.

4. How does the distance between the charges affect the electric field of a dipole?

The electric field of a dipole is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. What is the significance of the electric dipole moment?

The electric dipole moment is a measure of the strength of the electric dipole. It is equal to the product of the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them. The electric dipole moment is used to calculate the torque experienced by a dipole in an electric field, as well as to describe the strength and direction of the dipole's electric field.