Electric Field of Equilateral Triangle

In summary, an equilateral triangle is a triangle with all three sides of equal length and all three angles measuring 60 degrees. An electric field is a force field created by the presence of an electric charge and can be calculated using the formula E = k * Q / a^2. The direction of the electric field in an equilateral triangle will vary, but it will always be perpendicular to the sides and point towards the center of the triangle. The electric field of an equilateral triangle differs from other shapes due to its symmetrical distribution of charges, resulting in a uniform electric field throughout the triangle. Other shapes may have uneven distributions of charges, leading to a non-uniform electric field.
Brendan Webb

Homework Statement

Consider an equilateral triangle of side 15.6cm. A charge of +2.0μC is placed at one vertex and charges -4μC each are placed at the two. Determine the electric field at the centre of the triangle.

Homework Equations

E=kQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am hoping someone can check my methodology and possibly my answer too and let me know if it looks correct. I calculated the components of the vectors and added them and I believe I have it correct.
Part 1 of Question 4.jpg
Part 2 of Question 4.jpg

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your methodology and numbers are correct.

Thanks!

1. What is an equilateral triangle?

An equilateral triangle is a triangle with all three sides of equal length and all three angles measuring 60 degrees.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field created by the presence of an electric charge. It describes the force that a charged object would experience at any point in space.

3. How is the electric field of an equilateral triangle calculated?

The electric field of an equilateral triangle can be calculated by using the formula E = k * Q / a^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the triangle, and a is the length of one side of the triangle.

4. What is the direction of the electric field at different points in an equilateral triangle?

The direction of the electric field at different points in an equilateral triangle will vary, but it will always be perpendicular to the sides of the triangle and will point towards the center of the triangle.

5. How does the electric field of an equilateral triangle differ from that of other shapes?

The electric field of an equilateral triangle will be different from other shapes because it has a symmetrical distribution of charges, resulting in a uniform electric field throughout the triangle. Other shapes may have uneven distributions of charges, resulting in a non-uniform electric field.