What Electric Field Balances a Proton Against Gravity?

In summary, to find the required electric field for a proton in equilibrium near the surface of the Earth, one must use the formula E=F/Q, where F is the force of gravity and Q is the charge of the proton. This results in an electric field value of 1.0125x10^7 N/C.
dminus

Homework Statement

A proton near the surface of the Earth is in equilibrium under the force of gravity and the force of an electric field. What electric field is required?

Homework Equations

m(proton)=1.67x10-27

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the force of gravity on the proton which is F=1.63^26 by multiplying the proton with the acceleration of Earth F=ma
I don't know how to find the electric field. I try using the formula E=F/Q, the Q being 1.6x1019.

Problem is here
http://books.google.com/books?id=vN...the origin has a magnitude of 845 N/C&f=false

Page 96 question 3.47

OH NVM I GOT IT XD

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field required is F/Q, where F is the force of gravity and Q is the charge of the proton. Therefore, the electric field would be 1.63x10^-26/1.6x10^-19 = 1.0125x10^7 N/C

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around a charged particle or object where an electric force is exerted on other charged particles or objects.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of a charged particle or object. The strength of the field depends on the magnitude and location of the charge.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force on a charge, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy of a charge. In other words, electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in the electric field.

4. How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction a positive test charge would move in the presence of the field. It is always directed away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

5. What is the equation for calculating the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is calculated using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the electric force, and q is the charge of the test particle. This equation is also known as Coulomb's law.