Electric Fields and Electric forces help

In summary, each ion has a net positive charge equal to the charge on an electron, so the force on A is 9*10^9*1.6*10*-19*1.6*10*-19 or 1.15*10^8 Newtons.
IITSRII

Homework Statement

This is the question
Structure opposite comprises 5 ions each of which has lost one electron. The sides of the square formed by the 4 outer ions are of length 0.2nm
Ion E is at the midpoint

1.What is the force on A due to ion A?

Homework Equations

I'd imagine: F= kq / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Pythagoras to get A to E which is 0.141nm which is r
but for the charge would I use 1.6*10^19 even though they've lost an electron?
9*10^9 * 1.6*10*-19 / (0.141*10^-6)^2
I don't think this is right

Physics news on Phys.org
IITSRII said:
but for the charge would I use 1.6*10^19 even though they've lost an electron?
Yes, each ion should have a net positive charge equal in magnitude to the charge on an electron (1.6*10^-19 C).
IITSRII said:
9*10^9 * 1.6*10*-19 / (0.141*10^-6)^2
Careful, what's the order of magnitude of a nanometer?

Likes IITSRII
Sorry about that
9*10^9 * 1.6*10*-19 / (0.141*10^-9)^2 = 7.24*10^10

gneill said:
Yes, each ion should have a net positive charge equal in magnitude to the charge on an electron (1.6*10^-19 C).

Careful, what's the order of magnitude of a nanometer?
How would I find the net electric force on E
I know F= KQq/r^2 but I think I might get confused with the previous answer
not sure where to start from

IITSRII said:
Sorry about that
9*10^9 * 1.6*10*-19 / (0.141*10^-9)^2 = 7.24*10^10
Remember, there are *two* charges involved. Check your formula for the electric force between two charges.
IITSRII said:
How would I find the net electric force on E
I know F= KQq/r^2 but I think I might get confused with the previous answer
not sure where to start from
Each of the charges forming the square will impart its own force on ##E##. Make a sketch showing the individual forces. What can you say about the size and arrangement of the force vectors?

Likes IITSRII
gneill said:
Remember, there are *two* charges involved. Check your formula for the electric force between two charges.

Each of the charges forming the square will impart its own force on ##E##. Make a sketch showing the individual forces. What can you say about the size and arrangement of the force vectors?
If there's 2 charges involved wouldn't they have the same charge as they both are ions which lost electrons
9*10^9 * 1.6*10*-19 * 1.6*10*-19 / (0.141*10^-9)^2 =1.15*10^8
since F = KQ1Q2/d^2

For the net electric force on E
would I perhaps sum the individual force of the other 4 ions onto E then combine them? to find out the net electric force on E

IITSRII said:
9*10^9 * 1.6*10*-19 * 1.6*10*-19 / (0.141*10^-9)^2 =1.15*10^8
Yup. Watch the sign on the power of ten on your result.
IITSRII said:
For the net electric force on E
would I perhaps sum the individual force of the other 4 ions onto E then combine them? to find out the net electric force on E
Yes. Remember that forces are vector quantities, so the directions count. As I suggested, make a sketch first showing how the force vectors will be arranged. Then, can you solve the problem by inspection?

Likes IITSRII
Since electric force is KQ1Q2/r2
9*10^9*1.6*10^19*1.6*10^19 / 0.141^2
then multiply that answer by 4 because of the 4 ions
would that be it?

IITSRII said:
Since electric force is KQ1Q2/r2
9*10^9*1.6*10^19*1.6*10^19 / 0.141^2
then multiply that answer by 4 because of the 4 ions
would that be it?

No, you're adding scalars. These forces are vectors. Two equal forces can combine to double if they're pulling in the same direction, cancel out if they're pushing in opposite directions, or be somewhere in between if they're acting at an angle relative to each other.

As you've been told, draw the picture. Draw the force from each one, remembering that like charges repel so each corner provides a force pushing directly away from the corner.

Now, look at those four arrows and see if you can draw any conclusions.

RPinPA said:
No, you're adding scalars. These forces are vectors. Two equal forces can combine to double if they're pulling in the same direction, cancel out if they're pushing in opposite directions, or be somewhere in between if they're acting at an angle relative to each other.

As you've been told, draw the picture. Draw the force from each one, remembering that like charges repel so each corner provides a force pushing directly away from the corner.

Now, look at those four arrows and see if you can draw any conclusions.
already drawn the picture, is it possible that 2 forces repel and 2 forces attract towards E hence 2 forces cancel out
if the structure is square like ABCD with E in the middle of everything

I thought all the charges here were positive. Which charges do you think are attracting E?

I'm so sorry, I thought the question was asking what the total force on ion E is. I just reread the original post. This is the question you asked.

"1.What is the force on A due to ion A?"

That doesn't make sense. You weren't really asked for the force on A due to itself was, were you? What is it you are actually trying to find?

RPinPA said:
I thought all the charges here were positive. Which charges do you think are attracting E?

You're on the right track.
ah yeah they are
so negative charges are attracting E since like charges repel
they all cancel out since they are pulling away in opposite directions?

thats a typo
whats the force on E due on ion A

IITSRII said:
ah yeah they are
so negative charges are attracting E since like charges repel
they all cancel out since they are pulling away in opposite directions?
All the charges are positive since an electron is missing from each. Since all the charges are the same, they all repel each other. However, you are correct in your conclusion that, thanks to the symmetry of the arrangement, all the forces acting on ##E## will cancel.

IITSRII said:
thats a typo
whats the force on E due on ion A

The total force on E due to all four other charges is 0, because they come in pairs that cancel each other out.

But if you were just asked about one of those forces, the force on E due to A, it is ##k q_1 q_2/r^2## where ##q_1## and ##q_2## are the charges of A and E (which is the charge from one missing electron) and r is the distance between E and A (which is half the diagonal of the square).

And it points away from A.

Likes gneill

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region surrounding an electrically charged object or particle in which other charged objects or particles experience a force. It is created by the presence of an electric charge and can be either attractive or repulsive.

How is an electric field different from an electric force?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that a charged object experiences, while electric force is the actual force exerted on a charged object by an electric field. In other words, an electric field is the cause and electric force is the effect.

What factors affect the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field is affected by the magnitude of the charge creating the field, the distance from the source of the field, and the medium in which the field exists. The electric field is stronger when the charge is larger, the distance is smaller, and the medium is less resistant to the flow of electric charges.

How is the direction of an electric field determined?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the direction a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. It is always directed away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge. The field lines representing the direction of the electric field are drawn as arrows pointing in the direction of the force on a positive test charge.

How are electric fields and electric forces used in real-world applications?

Electric fields and electric forces play a crucial role in many modern technologies, such as electronics, telecommunications, and power generation. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in scientific research to study the behavior of charged particles. Understanding and controlling electric fields and forces is essential for many practical applications in our daily lives.