(Help) Surface charge density (σ) for particle to hit plate...

chrisbroward
Homework Statement
Find surface charge density required for t = 11.4 ms (11.4 * 10^-3 s)

Answer in μC/m^2
Relevant Equations
q = -3.84 mC (-3.84 * 10^-3 C)
m = 3.38 g
ⱴ = 6.81 km/s (6810 m/s)
θ = 69.1°
all at t = 0.
SCR-20240131-mzrk.png

I don't know if i'm exactly right.

But I started with x(time) = V cos θ t
which = (6810 m/s) cos (69.1°) (11.4 * 10^-3 s)
is ... 27.69 m

& since Electric field due to uniformly charge surface is represented by...
E = (q * σ)/(2 * ε_0 * m), and since acceleration (a) can be expressed as F/m, and Force (F) can be express as q*E;
I can combine these two equations...

a must be = (-3.84 * 10^-3 * σ)/(2 * (8.85 * 10^-12) * (3.38 * 10^-3)),
which is -6.418 * 10^10 * σ = a.

But as you can see now I have two unknowns and can't solve :(

Can anyone outline what exactly i'm doing incorrectly?

Physics news on Phys.org
You would want to find acceleration another way. Since you know t/2 and can find the velocity in the y-direction, you can use kinematics to find the acceleration.

Likes MatinSAR
Apart from the above: Please use units.

Likes MatinSAR
Are you used to using the SUVAT equations in ballistics questions?

Likes MatinSAR
Or knowing ##v_x## and the time of flight you can find the range. What is an expression for the range for a projectile that returns to the same level from which it was launched?

Likes MatinSAR

What is surface charge density (σ) for a particle to hit a plate?

Surface charge density (σ) refers to the amount of charge per unit area on the surface of a charged object. In the context of a particle hitting a plate, the surface charge density determines the likelihood of the particle hitting the plate based on the distribution of charge on the surface.

How is surface charge density calculated for a particle to hit a plate?

The surface charge density for a particle to hit a plate can be calculated by dividing the total charge on the surface by the area of the surface. Mathematically, it is represented as σ = Q/A, where σ is the surface charge density, Q is the total charge, and A is the area of the surface.

What factors affect the surface charge density for a particle to hit a plate?

Several factors can affect the surface charge density for a particle to hit a plate, including the distribution of charge on the surface, the size and shape of the particles, the distance between the particle and the plate, and the properties of the material of the plate.

Why is surface charge density important for a particle to hit a plate?

Surface charge density plays a crucial role in determining the interaction between charged particles and surfaces. It affects the electrostatic forces between the particle and the plate, influencing the trajectory and behavior of the particle as it approaches the plate.

How can surface charge density be manipulated to control the interaction between a particle and a plate?

Surface charge density can be manipulated by adjusting the distribution of charge on the surface, changing the properties of the material of the plate, or altering the distance between the particle and the plate. By controlling these factors, one can influence the likelihood of a particle hitting the plate and modify the interaction between them.