Electric flux calculatio in case of a cube

In summary, The electric field components in the figure have the form Ex=800x^2 N/C, Ey=Ez=0. The task is to calculate the flux through the cube with sides a=0.1 m. By using the dot product between the E field on the ABCD plane and the area vector of this plane, the flux through the cube is equal to 800a^4 Nm^2/C. The dot product between the unit vectors i^ and i^ is equal to 1, resulting in 800a^4. The reason why the flux of the cube is equal to the flux through ABCD instead of EFGH is because the electric field in the EFGH plane is not given and
gracy

Homework Statement

the electric field components in the figure below are Ex=800 x^2 N/C ,Ey=Ez=0 calculate the flux through the cube
a=assume 0.1 m
SNA.jpg

Homework Equations

efda67ba73d2beeb05af6eb2a65f98e0.png

The Attempt at a Solution

here flux of cube =flux through ABCD
=800a^2 i^.a^2 i^
=800a^4
=800 × (0.1)^4
=8×10^2 ×10^-4
=8 ×10^-2 Nm^2/C
But I don't understand this step =800a^4
I want to know how to proceed from 800a^2 i^.a^2 i^.

Physics news on Phys.org
gracy said:
I want to know how to proceed from 800a^2 i^.a^2 i^.
That's just a dot product between the E field on the ABCD plane, ##800a^2 \hat{i}##, and the area vector of this plane, ##a^2 \hat{i}##,
$$
800a^2 \hat{i} \cdot a^2 \hat{i} = 800a^4 (\hat{i} \cdot \hat{i}) = 800a^4
$$
with ##\hat{i} \cdot \hat{i}=1##.

Likes gracy
Thanks again!
blue_leaf77 said:
800a2i^⋅a2i^=800a4(i^⋅i^)
so do we take i/j/k separately?

gracy said:
so do we take i/j/k separately?
We don't normally call them to be "separately", ##\hat{i}##, ##\hat{j}##, and ##\hat{k}## are unit vectors along the x, y, and z directions, respectively. In Cartesian coordinate, these three directions are perpendicular to each other, so, if you take a dot product between any two vectors along any two of these three directions, it must equal zero. Remember the dot product formula between vectors ##\mathbf{A}## and ##\mathbf{B}##, ##\mathbf{A} \cdot \mathbf{B} = |\mathbf{A}||\mathbf{B}|\cos \alpha##, with ##\alpha## the angle between ##\mathbf{A}## and ##\mathbf{B}##. The angles between ##\hat{i}##, ##\hat{j}##, and ##\hat{k}## are always ##90^0## hence the dot product between them must be zero.

Likes gracy
OK.One more doubt from this problem
gracy said:
flux of cube =flux through ABCD
WHY?
why can not it be flux through EFGH as well?
gracy said:
Ex=800 x^2 N/C ,Ey=Ez=0
Here it is not mentioned that E negative x is also zero.
JJ.png

I thought it was already known to you when you write
gracy said:
here flux of cube =flux through ABCD
If I were to write the more complete expression of the total flux going through the cube, it will be
$$
\oint \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{a} = \int_1 \mathbf{E_1} \cdot d\mathbf{a}_1 + \int_2 \mathbf{E}_2 \cdot d\mathbf{a}_2 + \ldots + \int_6 \mathbf{E}_6 \cdot d\mathbf{a}_6
$$
where the integrals on the RHS account for the six surfaces of the cube. However since the E field is along the x direction, only two of those six integrals will survive upon the dot product with the area vector. Let's suppose that the surfaces ABCD and EFGH are the first and second integrals above, respectively. Then it becomes
$$
\oint \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{a} = E(ABCD) a^2 - E(EFGH) a^2
$$
What is the electric field in the EFGH plane?

Likes gracy
blue_leaf77 said:
∮E⋅da=E(ABCD)a2−E(EFGH)a2
Why is there subtraction?because of i^.-i^ i.e 1mltiplied by cos 180 degrees i.e -1?

blue_leaf77 said:
What is the electric field in the EFGH plane?
Not given.

That's why you have to calculate it. The field has the form of ##E_x = 800x^2##, now what is ##x## equal to for the EFGH plane?

Likes gracy
gracy said:
Why is there subtraction?because of i^.-i^ i.e 1mltiplied by cos 180 degrees i.e -1?
is this right?

gracy said:
Yes, that's correct.

blue_leaf77 said:
now what is xx equal to for the EFGH plane?
it's zero.So E=0 for EFGH plane.And therefore
flux of cube =flux through ABCD.Right?

gracy said:
it's zero.So E=0 for EFGH plane
Right.

Thanks .

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given surface. It represents the number of electric field lines passing through a surface per unit area.

2. How is electric flux calculated in the case of a cube?

In the case of a cube, the electric flux can be calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector of each face of the cube. The total flux is then the sum of the flux through each face.

3. What is the unit of electric flux?

The unit of electric flux is Newton meters squared per Coulomb (N·m2/C).

4. How does the orientation of the cube affect the electric flux calculation?

The orientation of the cube does not affect the electric flux calculation as long as the electric field and surface area vectors are correctly aligned. The dot product will take into account the angle between the two vectors.

5. Can electric flux be negative?

Yes, electric flux can be negative. This occurs when the electric field and surface area vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative dot product. It indicates that the electric field is passing into the surface rather than out of it.