Flux of the electric field that crosses the faces of a cube

In summary: It is a scalar quantity.If you are asking whether the flux and potential are related, then the answer is yes. The electric potential is related to the electric field by the equation $$\phi=-\int_{\vec{r}_0}^{\vec{r}} \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}+C,$$where ##C## is a constant of integration. This equation tells you how the potential changes as you move from one point to another in an electric field.The flux, on the other hand, is related to the electric field by the equation $$\phi=\int \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A},$$where ##d\vec{A}## is
Guillem_dlc
Homework Statement
Calculate the flux of the electric field that crosses a cube with vertices at the points (coordinated in meters): ##A(0,0,0)##, ##B(4,0,0)##, ##C(4,0,4)##, ##D(0,0,4)##, ##E(0,4,4)##, ##F(0,4,0)##, ##G(4,4,0)##, ##H(4,4,4)## located in a region of space where there is an electric field:
a) ##\vec{E}=10^4\, \widehat{i}\, (\textrm{N}/\textrm{C})##
b) ##\vec{E}=300x\, \widehat{i}\, (\textrm{N}/\textrm{C})##
c) ##\vec{E}=60x^2\, \widehat{i}-1000y\, \widehat{j}+3000\, \widehat{k}\, (\textrm{N}/\textrm{C})##

Answers: a) ##\phi=0##, b) ##\phi=1,9\cdot 10^4\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}##, c) ##\phi=-4,9\cdot 10^4\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}##.
Relevant Equations
##\phi = \vec{E}\cdot \vec{S}##
a) $$\phi_T=\phi_F-\phi_I=10^4\cdot 4\cdot 4-10^4\cdot 4\cdot 4=0\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$

b) $$\phi_F=\underbrace{300\cdot 4}_{\vec{E}}\cdot \underbrace{4\cdot 4}_{\textrm{area}}=19200\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$
$$\phi_0 = 300\cdot 0\cdot 4\cdot 4=0\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$
Then,
$$\phi_T=\phi_F-\phi_0=19200\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$

c) ##x## axis: $$E_x=6x^2\, \widehat{i}\rightarrow \phi_x=\phi_F-\phi_0=60\cdot 16\cdot 4\cdot 4-0=15360\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$
##y## axis: $$E_y=1000y\rightarrow \phi_y=\phi_F-\phi_0=0-1000\cdot 4\cdot 4\cdot 4=-64000\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$
##z## axis: $$E_x=3000\rightarrow \phi_z=\phi_F-\phi_0\rightarrow \phi_F=\phi_0\rightarrow \phi_z=0\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$

How should I do that in part c)? I would do the module of this to calculate the flux but it doesn't give the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Guillem_dlc said:
a) $$\phi_T=\phi_F-\phi_I=10^4\cdot 4\cdot 4-10^4\cdot 4\cdot 4=0\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$
I'm not sure what the subscripts ##F## and ##I## refer to. I think it would be better to write the total flux as the sum of the fluxes through each face. Thus,

$$\phi_T=\phi_F+\phi_I=10^4\cdot 4\cdot 4+(-10^4\cdot 4\cdot 4)=0\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$ This gives the same answer that you got. But conceptually, the total flux through all of the faces is obtained by adding the fluxes for each face. The flux through an individual face could be positive, negative, or zero.

Guillem_dlc said:
c) ##x## axis: $$E_x=6x^2\, \widehat{i}\rightarrow \phi_x=\phi_F-\phi_0=60\cdot 16\cdot 4\cdot 4-0=15360\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$
##y## axis: $$E_y=1000y\rightarrow \phi_y=\phi_F-\phi_0=0-1000\cdot 4\cdot 4\cdot 4=-64000\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$
##z## axis: $$E_x=3000\rightarrow \phi_z=\phi_F-\phi_0\rightarrow \phi_F=\phi_0\rightarrow \phi_z=0\, \textrm{Nm}^2/\textrm{C}$$

How should I do that in part c)? I would do the module of this to calculate the flux but it doesn't give the answer.
Wouldn't ##\phi_{\rm total} = \phi_x+\phi_y + \phi_z##?

TSny said:
Wouldn't ##\phi_{\rm total} = \phi_x+\phi_y + \phi_z##?

Would that be the total flow not? Add each component but with this "wouldn't" I don't know what you mean?

You have found the flux, ##\phi_x,## through the surface of the cube due to the ##x##-component of the field ##E_x##.

Likewise for ##\phi_y## and ##\phi_z## due to ##E_y## and ##E_z##.

So how would you calculate the total flux through the surface of the cube from ##\phi_x##, ##\phi_y##, and ##\phi_z##?

Earlier, you said
Guillem_dlc said:
I would do the module of this to calculate the flux but it doesn't give the answer.

Can you show how you would "do the module"?

Last edited:
TSny said:
Can you show how you would "do the module"?
Adding the result already comes.

I did this:
$$\phi =\sqrt{\phi_x^2+\phi_y^2+\phi_z^2}$$

Guillem_dlc said:
Adding the result already comes.
I'm not sure what you mean here.

Guillem_dlc said:
I did this:
$$\phi =\sqrt{\phi_x^2+\phi_y^2+\phi_z^2}$$
Flux is not a vector quantity. It is a scalar quantity.

In your calculation, ##\phi_x## represents the flux through the surface of the cube due to just the x-component of the electric field. But ##\phi_x## is not the x-component of some vector.

TSny said:
I'm not sure what you mean here.Flux is not a vector quantity. It is a scalar quantity.

In your calculation, ##\phi_x## represents the flux through the surface of the cube due to just the x-component of the electric field. But ##\phi_x## is not the x-component of some vector.
I mean that ##\phi=\phi_x+\phi_y+\phi_z## gives the correct result.

Then the potential wouldn't be, right?

Guillem_dlc said:
Then the potential wouldn't be, right?
I'm not sure what you are asking here. What potential are you referring to?

If you saying that electric potential is not a vector quantity, then you are right.

Likes Guillem_dlc

1. What is flux of the electric field?

The flux of the electric field is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter squared (V/m²).

2. How is the flux of the electric field calculated?

The flux of the electric field is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the surface normal vector of the chosen surface. This calculation can be represented by the equation Φ = ∫E⋅dA, where E is the electric field and dA is the differential area element of the surface.

3. What is the significance of a cube when discussing flux of the electric field?

A cube is often used as a simplified model to demonstrate the concept of flux of the electric field. The six faces of the cube represent six different surfaces through which the electric field can pass, making it a useful tool for visualizing and understanding the concept.

4. How does the orientation of the cube affect the flux of the electric field?

The orientation of the cube can greatly affect the flux of the electric field. If the cube is positioned such that its faces are parallel to the electric field lines, the flux will be zero. However, if the cube is tilted or rotated, the flux will be non-zero and depend on the angle between the electric field and the surface normal vectors.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding flux of the electric field?

Understanding flux of the electric field is essential in many areas of science and engineering, such as designing electrical circuits, analyzing electromagnetic radiation, and developing technologies like solar panels and electric motors. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in various environments, such as in space or in the human body.