Electric Flux Problem: Finding Charge per Unit Area on a Charged Plastic Sheet

In summary: Your Name]In summary, to find the charge per unit area on the plastic sheet, we use the equation F=ma to set up an equation for the forces acting on the Styrofoam piece and solve for σ. We then plug in the given values and get a value of -219.2 µC/m^2, indicating an excess of negative charge on the plastic sheet.
MJay82

Homework Statement

A 15.2-g piece of Styrofoam carries a net charge of -0.702 µC and is suspended in equilibrium above the center of a large, horizontal sheet of plastic that has a uniform charge density on its surface. What is the charge per unit area on the plastic sheet?

Homework Equations

F=ma (sum of the forces in the Y direction = 0 )
Φ = k/ε0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure here. Usually if I don't have an idea of what I'm doing, I'll look at the way the units interact.

Here something like
Surface charge density = Weight/Φ gives me the correct units, but not the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Thank you for your post. Let me see if I can help you out with this problem.

First, let's define some variables:

Q = net charge on the Styrofoam piece
m = mass of the Styrofoam piece
g = acceleration due to gravity
d = distance between the Styrofoam piece and the center of the plastic sheet
σ = charge per unit area on the plastic sheet

Now, we can use the equation F=ma to set up an equation for the forces acting on the Styrofoam piece:

F = Qσ - mg = 0

Since the Styrofoam piece is in equilibrium, the sum of the forces must be equal to zero. Solving for σ, we get:

σ = mg/Q

We can now plug in the given values and solve for σ:

σ = (15.2 g)(9.8 m/s^2)/(-0.702 µC) = -219.2 µC/m^2

This tells us that the charge per unit area on the plastic sheet is -219.2 µC/m^2. This means that the plastic sheet has an excess of negative charge, since the Styrofoam piece has a negative charge and is being repelled by the plastic sheet.

I hope this helps you with your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is electric flux calculated?

The electric flux through a surface is calculated by multiplying the strength of the electric field by the surface area and the cosine of the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the surface. This can be represented mathematically as Φ = E * A * cosθ.

What are some real-life applications of electric flux?

Electric flux is used in a variety of fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. Some common applications include calculating the voltage in a circuit, determining the charge on a conductor, and studying the behavior of electric fields in different materials.

What factors affect electric flux?

The strength of the electric field, the surface area, and the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the surface all play a role in determining the electric flux. Additionally, the type of material the field is passing through can also affect the electric flux.

How is electric flux related to Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. This relationship allows for the calculation of electric flux in more complex situations, such as when dealing with non-uniform electric fields or multiple charges.