Electric Flux through half a cylinder

In summary, the problem involves finding the flux through the open half-cylinder with given dimensions and an electric field of magnitude 5.3 kN/C. The surface is the right half of a full cylinder and does not include the opening rectangle. The flux equation φ = Qenc / ε0 = ∫E⋅dA = EA is used, with the assumption of constant E and symmetry. However, it is easier to work with a rectangular area that is perpendicular to the field. Converting to basic units of N/C m^2, the correct answer is 54.06 N/C m^2.
jlmccart03

Homework Statement

In (Figure 1) take the half-cylinder's radius and length to be 3.4 cm and 15 cm, respectively.

If the electric field has magnitude 5.3 kN/C, find the flux through the open half-cylinder. The surface here is the right half of the surface of a full cylinder. The surface does not include the rectangle which is the opening to the half-cylinder. Hint: You don't need to do an integral! Why not?

upload_2017-2-6_12-34-50.png

Homework Equations

φ = Qenc / ε0 = ∫E⋅dA = EA

The Attempt at a Solution

So I simply took my flux equation to be EA since its a half cylinder with constant E and symmetry. Through this I got 5.3 kN/C * (π(3.4cm)2+π(3.4cm)(15cm)) = 1041.65 kN/C m2. This is apparently wrong? What is proper way of handling this problem as I though I was doing it correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is designed to get you to recognize that the flux that passes through the curved surface of the half-cylinder is the same as the flux that passes through the open rectangular side of the half-cylinder. It's much easier to work with a rectangular area that's perpendicular to the field!

If you choose to calculate using the curved surface then you'll need to do the integration and take into account the direction of the dA element vectors in relation to the field lines and use the dot product (E⋅dA = |E| |dA| cos(φ)) for the contribution for each differential area element.

gneill said:
The problem is designed to get you to recognize that the flux that passes through the curved surface of the half-cylinder is the same as the flux that passes through the open rectangular side of the half-cylinder. It's much easier to work with a rectangular area that's perpendicular to the field!

If you choose to calculate using the curved surface then you'll need to do the integration and take into account the direction of the dA element vectors in relation to the field lines and use the dot product (E⋅dA = |E| |dA| cos(φ)) for the contribution for each differential area element.
Wait since the open rectangular side is perpendicular to the E field doesn't that mean the flux is 0?
EDIT That is wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. So i just have to take E * Rectangle Area = Flux.

jlmccart03 said:
Wait since the open rectangular side is perpendicular to the E field doesn't that mean the flux is 0?
EDIT That is wrong. I don't know what I was thinking. So i just have to take E * Rectangle Area = Flux.
Bingo! :smile:

gneill said:
Bingo! :smile:
Ok so I get 270.3 kN/C * cm^2. I took 5.3 kN/C * (3.4 cm)(15 cm) to get this, but it says that is wrong. I then tried to convert everything into normal units of N/C m^2 and got 27.03 N/C m^2 and that is wrong too. What is the issue? Rectangle area is length * width so I don't get what is wrong.

Can you show your calculations with conversions in detail? I'd like to see the intermediate values.

gneill said:
Can you show your calculations with conversions in detail? I'd like to see the intermediate values.
Sure. (3.4 cm)(15 cm) = 51 cm. (5.3 kN/C)(51 cm) = 270.3 kN/C cm^2. Also I just realized that I am using 3.4 cm which is the radius of the cylinder am I supposed to use that?
EDIT I figured out that the side is length 6.8 cm so my new answer should be 540.6 kN/C cm^2.

jlmccart03 said:
Sure. (3.4 cm)(15 cm) = 51 cm. (5.3 kN/C)(51 cm) = 270.3 kN/C cm^2. Also I just realized that I am using 3.4 cm which is the radius of the cylinder am I supposed to use that?
Only if you want to find only half the area :wink:

gneill said:
Only if you want to find only half the area :wink:
Ok, so with 6.8 cm as the new full diameter then I should get 540.6 kN/C cm^2. Now the next question is. Are those appropriate units? Should I have it as 54.06 N/C m^2?

jlmccart03 said:
Ok, so with 6.8 cm as the new full diameter then I should get 540.6 kN/C cm^2. Now the next question is. Are those appropriate units? Should I have it as 54.06 N/C m^2?
It's always best to convert to the basic units. So N, C, m,...

gneill said:
It's always best to convert to the basic units. So N, C, m,...
Noted! Thanks!

What is "Electric Flux through half a cylinder"?

"Electric Flux through half a cylinder" refers to the amount of electric field passing through a half cylinder shape. It is a measure of how much electric field is passing through a given area of the surface of the half cylinder.

How is the electric flux through half a cylinder calculated?

The electric flux through a half cylinder is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the normal vector of the surface area. This can be expressed mathematically as Φ = E⋅A⋅cosθ, where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface normal.

What is the unit for electric flux?

The unit for electric flux is volt meters squared (V⋅m²). This can also be written as newton meters squared per coulomb (N⋅m²/C).

What factors affect the electric flux through half a cylinder?

The electric flux through a half cylinder is affected by the strength of the electric field, the size and shape of the half cylinder, and the angle between the electric field and the surface normal. It is also affected by the presence of other charges or materials in the surrounding area.

How is electric flux through half a cylinder used in practical applications?

Electric flux through half a cylinder is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electric fields and charges. It is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and electronic devices, and in the study of electromagnetic fields in various systems.