Electric force due to a moving charge

In summary: The distance between the charge at ##a## and the point ##b## in the unprimed frame is given by x = x(a) - x(b). In summary, the electric field at point ##b## in the unprimed frame is equal to the electric field at point ##b## in the primed frame, provided the charge is moving with speed v.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I am having some problems involving the force that a source moving with speed v along the x-axis would exert on a test charge at the x axis.

Moving to the frame of the source charge, we got that the electric field it exerts is $$E' = kq/x'²$$

Now, moving back to the lab frame, and considering that ##x'## above is contracted, since it was at the frame of a moving charge, we got ##\vec{E'}_{ \parallel} = \vec{E}_{ \parallel}##, we got that:

$$ E = kq/x'² = kq \frac{\gamma² }{x² } \implies F = kq Q\frac{\gamma² }{x² }$$

This is wrong, but i don't know why :/ Where is my error? How to solve this question?

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
If the charge is moving you have a time dependent electric field.

Likes Delta2
PeroK said:
If the charge is moving you have a time dependent electric field.
I think i didn't get your point. The answer should be divided by square of gamma, not multiplied. Why?

Herculi said:
I think i didn't get your point. The answer should be divided by square of gamma, not multiplied. Why?
Perhaps I don't understand what you are doing. The electric field due to a moving charge is time-dependent. You need one variable for the position of the charge and one variable for the position at which you are measuring the electric field.

There's a few ways of going about such a problem, the most direct being i) Lorentz transform the 4-potential ##A^{\mu}## or ii) Lorentz transform the EM tensor ##F^{\mu \nu}##.

For example, in the rest frame of the source ##\phi = kq/r^2## whilst ##\mathbf{A} = 0##. Because ##A^{\mu} = (\phi, \mathbf{A})## is a 4-vector, then a boost by velocity ##v## (i.e. ##x' = \gamma(x-vt)##) transforms these quantities to
\begin{align*}
\phi' = \gamma \phi &= \dfrac{\gamma k q}{r^2} \\ \\
\mathrm{and} \ \ \ \mathbf{A}' &= \phi \mathbf{v}
\end{align*}
Upon re-writing ##r^2 = x^2 + y^2 + z^2## in terms of the primed co-ordinates, you can find the electric field ##\mathbf{E}'## in the moving frame from the definition ##\mathbf{E}' = -\nabla \phi' - \dfrac{\partial \mathbf{A}'}{\partial t}##.

The alternative is to notice that ##E^i = F^{i0}##, so you can work through writing out all the tems in\begin{align*}
F'^{i0} = {\Lambda^i}_{\mu} {\Lambda^0}_{\nu} F^{\mu \nu}
\end{align*}

Likes Delta2 and PeroK
Herculi said:
Now, moving back to the lab frame, and considering that ##x'## above is contracted

The mistake is assuming that ##x'## is the Lorentz contraction of ##x## (i.e., ##x' = x/\gamma##). You can discover that this is not the case by working through the following.

The observer in the unprimed frame can be considered to be located at the unprimed origin and the charge can be considered as being located at the primed origin. The charge passes the unprimed origin at ##t = t' = 0##. Let the unprimed observer measure ##E## at the particular instant ##t##.

What is the distance ##x## between the charge and the unprimed observer according to the unprimed frame when the measurement is made? Express in terms of ##v## and ##t##.

The measurement of ##E## by the unprimed observer can be considered as a spacetime event. At what time ##t'## does this event take place in the primed frame?

According to the primed frame, what is the distance ##x'## between the unprimed observer and the charge when the measurement is made by the unprimed observer? You should find that ##x'## is greater than ##x## rather than a contraction of ##x##.

Last edited:
Likes ergospherical
Thought it might be useful to illustrate @TSny's nice idea,

1638904328210.png

The event ##p## is the measurement of ##E## by the unprimed observer.

In the unprimed frame, ##p## is simultaneous with the point ##a## on the charge's worldline.
In the primed frame, ##p## is simultaneous with the point ##b## on the charge's worldline.

Then, in terms of the quantities that @TSny has defined, you have ##x = x(a) - x(p) = x(a)## whilst ##x' = x'(b) - x'(p) = -x'(p)##.

Likes TSny
Here's another approach using length contraction. Consider a rod at rest in the primed frame and oriented along the x'-axis. Let x' denote the length of the rod as measured in the primed frame. Label the ends of the rod ##a## and ##b##. Let the charge ##q## be fixed to the rod at end ##a##.

So, the electric field at end ##b## in the primed frame will have magnitude ##E'_b = \large \frac{ kq}{x'^2}##.

As you noted in the OP, electric fields that are parallel to the relative motion of the frames have the same value in both frames. So, the magnitude of the electric field at ##b## in the unprimed frame is ##E_b = E'_b##,

Consider the distance x between the charge at ##a## and the point ##b## in the unprimed frame at any instant in the unprimed frame.

What is the electric force due to a moving charge?

The electric force due to a moving charge is the force exerted on another charged object by the electric field created by the moving charge. It is a vector quantity that depends on the magnitude and direction of the charge and the velocity of the moving charge.

How is the electric force due to a moving charge calculated?

The electric force due to a moving charge can be calculated using the equation F = qvBsinθ, where F is the force, q is the charge, v is the velocity, B is the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

What is the difference between electric force and magnetic force?

Electric force is the force exerted between two charged objects, while magnetic force is the force exerted between a moving charge and a magnetic field. Electric force is a non-contact force, while magnetic force can act at a distance.

How does the electric force due to a moving charge affect the path of the charge?

The electric force due to a moving charge can cause the charge to change its direction and follow a curved path. This is due to the interaction between the electric force and the magnetic force, which results in a force called the Lorentz force.

What are some real-life applications of the electric force due to a moving charge?

The electric force due to a moving charge is used in various technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space, such as the Earth's magnetic field and the solar wind.