Electric forces between conducting rod and rail

IIn summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the right-hand grip rule and left-hand rule to determine the magnetic field and force between a wire and a rail. The question is whether the wire and rod will produce the same force to remain at equilibrium at a certain height. The formula for magnetic force is mentioned and the questioner is looking for guidance on how to proceed with the question. They also mention a previous similar question and ask if it is okay to assume certain values in the equation.
jisbon
Homework Statement
A rod of length L and mass m can slide on vertical rails and is height H above a wire when both carry the same current I in opposite directions. If current in the lower wire is suddenly doubled, what is the initial acceleration of rod?
Relevant Equations
-
1569379091181.png

Alright, to start off:

I'm not even sure how this works in the first place. What I do understand is that if they carry current in the opposite direction, using right-hand grip rule, the magnetic field between them will be the same (into the page). Hence using the left-hand rule, I can deduce that there is a magnetic force produced from the wire and rail vertically upwards (in this correct?)
So to remain the at equilibrium at height H, both rod and wire must produce the same force (is this correct?)
However searching through my notes and stuff, I found out both wire and rods to have the same formula for magnetic force ###(F=BIL sin \theta)##

Not sure how to proceed on here, what's the 'theory' behind this question? Any guidance will be appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Realized this question was similar to the one I posted few weeks back. I'm supposed to find I in terms of m and L. Since the rod remains in equilibrium at height L, is it ok to assume then ##\epsilon =(\mu_{0}I/2\pi L)(L)(0)##
I'm not sure how to find the current if its equlibirum

1. What is the concept behind electric forces between conducting rod and rail?

The concept behind electric forces between a conducting rod and rail is based on the principle of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a conductor, it creates a magnetic field around it. Similarly, when a conductor is placed near a magnetic field, it experiences a force due to the interaction between the two fields. This interaction between electric and magnetic fields is known as electromagnetic force, which is responsible for the electric forces between a conducting rod and rail.

2. How do the properties of the conducting rod and rail affect the strength of the electric force?

The strength of the electric force between a conducting rod and rail depends on the properties of both the rod and rail. Factors such as the material, size, shape, and distance between the rod and rail can influence the strength of the force. For example, a larger conducting rod will have a stronger electric force compared to a smaller one, and a greater distance between the rod and rail will result in a weaker force.

3. Can the electric force between a conducting rod and rail be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the electric force between a conducting rod and rail can be controlled or manipulated by changing the properties of the rod and rail or by altering the external magnetic field. By changing the current flowing through the conductor, the strength of the magnetic field can be adjusted, thereby affecting the electric force. Additionally, using different materials for the rod and rail can also alter the strength of the force.

4. What is the significance of electric forces between conducting rod and rail in practical applications?

The electric forces between a conducting rod and rail have various practical applications, such as in electric motors and generators. By utilizing the interaction between electric and magnetic fields, these devices can convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa. Additionally, this phenomenon is also used in magnetic levitation trains, where the electric force between the conducting rails and the train's magnets helps to lift and propel the train forward.

5. How does the direction of the electric force between conducting rod and rail change with the direction of the current?

The direction of the electric force between conducting rod and rail is dependent on the direction of the current flowing through the conductor. According to Fleming's left-hand rule, if the current is flowing upwards, the force will be directed towards the right, and if the current is flowing downwards, the force will be directed towards the left. This direction can be reversed by changing the direction of the current.