Electric motor(calc. angular velocity

In summary: So, how does this relate to P and η?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular velocity of a wheel given a constant power and moment of inertia, with an efficiency of 60%. The final equation used is ω=sqrt((2*P*t)/J)=10,80 rad/s, with the correct answer being ω≈8.4 rad/s. The use of energy concepts and the correct formula for rotational kinetic energy is necessary to find the solution. The relationship between ω, P, and η is given by ω = sqrt((P*t)/(J*η)).
antoman
First of all I am sorry for my awful english.

Homework Statement

Electric motor starts turning wheel with a constant power of P=25W and J=3 kg*m^2. With what angular velocity the wheel spins after 7s(from start), if the efficiency is 60%

Homework Equations

P=M*ω
M=J*α

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i have equation that gives correct number(solution) for this particular case, but i want to to know how did guy that wrote it came up with it and if its correct anyway.
so, equation is:
ω=sqrt((2*P*t)/J)=10,80 rad/s.
Correct answer is ω≈8.4 rad/s (100% correct its from our exam)

I tried to get to this equation by myself so i did this:
ω=P/M=P/(J*α)=P*t/(J*ω) so
ω^2=P*t/J
ω=sqrt(P*t/J)

The other thing that bothers me is that efficiency is not iven used. So any help how to develop correct equation would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Power times time is total energy. Efficiency tells you how much of the total energy becomes the kinetic energy of the rotating wheel.

antoman said:
Ok so i have equation that gives correct number(solution) for this particular case, but i want to to know how did guy that wrote it came up with it and if its correct anyway.
so, equation is:
ω=sqrt((2*P*t)/J)=10,80 rad/s.
Correct answer is ω≈8.4 rad/s (100% correct its from our exam)
The above method uses energy concepts. If you recall the formula for the rotational KE of an object, you should be able to see where the formula comes from.

To me, the statement of the problem is not very clear on whether the given power is the power of the motor or the power delivered to the wheel. Apparently, it's the power of the motor. So, as voko pointed out, you need to take the efficiency into account to get the power delivered to the wheel.

I tried to get to this equation by myself so i did this:
ω=P/M=P/(J*α)=P*t/(J*ω) so
ω^2=P*t/J
ω=sqrt(P*t/J)

Here you are using P = Mω where P is the power delivered to the wheel and M is the instantaneous torque (moment). This equation holds at each instant of time. You are given that P is constant and you know that ω is not constant. So, is M constant or not? If not, then you can't use constant acceleration equations such as ω = αt.

Last edited:
Here you are using P = Mω where P is the power delivered to the wheel and M is the instantaneous torque (moment). This equation holds at each instant of time. You are given that P is constant and you know that ω is not constant. So, is M constant or not? If not, then you can't use constant acceleration equations such as ω = αt.

Problem is i don't know if M is constant, but guessing from what you wrote its not, so my equations are all wrong.

The above method uses energy concepts. If you recall the formula for the rotational KE of an object, you should be able to see where the formula comes from.

So... Wrot=2*ω^(2)/J
ω^2=Wrot*2/J

edited: A=Wk2-Wk1 --> A=Wrot

:smile:
ω=sqrt((A*2*η)/J)=8,366 rad/s

Last edited:
antoman said:
Problem is i don't know if M is constant, but guessing from what you wrote its not, so my equations are all wrong.
No need to guess. Use logic. If P = Mω and you know that P is constant while ω is not constant, then you can deduce whether or not M is constant.

So... Wrot=2*ω^(2)/J
ω^2=Wrot*2/J

edited: A=Wk2-Wk1 --> A=Wrot

It will help a lot if whenever you use a symbol, you state what the symbol represents. What do the symbols Wrot, Wk2, Wk1, and A stand for?

TSny said:
No need to guess. Use logic. If P = Mω and you know that P is constant while ω is not constant, then you can deduce whether or not M is constant.
It will help a lot if whenever you use a symbol, you state what the symbol represents. What do the symbols Wrot, Wk2, Wk1, and A stand for?

Wrot...KE
Wk1.. KE at t=0
Wk2...KE when t=7
A.. work

Last edited:
antoman said:
Wrot=2*ω^(2)/J

Are you sure you are using the correct formula for rotational kinetic energy?

[EDIT]
ω^2=Wrot*2/J

Ok, this looks correct.

Likes 1 person

Related to Electric motor(calc. angular velocity

1. What is an electric motor?

An electric motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy by using the interaction between an electric current and a magnetic field.

2. How does an electric motor work?

An electric motor works by applying a current to a conductor that is placed in a magnetic field. The interaction between the current and the magnetic field creates a force that causes the conductor to rotate, producing mechanical energy.

3. How do you calculate the angular velocity of an electric motor?

The angular velocity of an electric motor can be calculated by dividing the rotational speed (in revolutions per minute) by 60, since there are 60 seconds in a minute. This will give the angular velocity in revolutions per second.

4. What factors affect the angular velocity of an electric motor?

The angular velocity of an electric motor can be affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current applied, the size of the motor, and the type of conductor used.

5. How can I increase the angular velocity of an electric motor?

To increase the angular velocity of an electric motor, you can increase the amount of current applied, use a stronger magnetic field, or modify the design of the motor to reduce friction and increase efficiency.