Electric polarization involves the defect centers in the dielectric

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between defect centers in a dielectric and their contribution to electric polarization and the resulting effect on permittivity. It is noted that there is a microscopic theory that can derive this relationship, and the topic is currently an area of research. A suggested reference is provided for further information.
Silicon
I konw that the defect centers in a dielectric contribute to the electric polarization and thus affect the permittivity.If there is any microscopic theory can derivate the relationship between the defect centers and the permittivity?

Physics news on Phys.org
There certainly is. I'm not sure I can find good references on short notice.

Very often - for instance in perovskite structures - an impurity site can be very polar (mostly from electron capture). This strong, oriented dipole "pins" the polarization of the surrounding lattice (in the vicinity) by dipole-dipole interactions. This effect has been studied extensively, in terms of the electrostatic, thermodynamic (the free-energy gains an inhomogeneous strain-energy-like term) and transport (some defects, like oxygen vacancies, can lead to high ionic conductivity) properties of materials.

Silicon said:
I konw that the defect centers in a dielectric contribute to the electric polarization and thus affect the permittivity.If there is any microscopic theory can derivate the relationship between the defect centers and the permittivity?

Great question. This is an issue of serious research right now. I will refer you to the home page of Prof Alex Shluger of UCL. He is working in this field and he collaborates with my phd promotor who is working in ESR-caracterization (like Pb-centers,etc).

Here it is http://www.cmmp.ucl.ac.uk/~ayg/group/
Click on "research"

regards
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Electric polarization involves the defect centers in the dielectric

1. What is electric polarization?

Electric polarization is the process in which the charges within an object or material are rearranged in response to an external electric field. This results in the creation of an electric dipole moment within the material.

2. What are defect centers in a dielectric?

Defect centers in a dielectric are areas within the material where the arrangement of atoms or molecules is not perfect. These defects can result in the presence of additional charges, such as impurity ions, that can contribute to the overall electric polarization of the material.

3. How do defect centers contribute to electric polarization?

When an external electric field is applied to a dielectric material, the defect centers can become polarized and contribute to the overall polarization of the material. This is because the charges within the defect centers are able to move in response to the electric field, resulting in the creation of an electric dipole moment.

4. What factors affect the strength of electric polarization in a material?

The strength of electric polarization in a material is affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the external electric field, the dielectric constant of the material, and the presence and distribution of defect centers within the material.

5. How is electric polarization measured?

Electric polarization can be measured using various techniques, such as measuring the induced electric dipole moment in the material, or by measuring the dielectric constant of the material in the presence and absence of an external electric field. Other methods include using polarization-sensitive instruments, such as polarimeters or ellipsometers.