Electric potential due to collection of charged particles

In summary: For the second charge, it looks like you used a distance of .0275 m rather than .0325 m. Good job tracking that down.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A particle with charge q1 = -6.75x10^-6 is located at (0,3.25x10^-2 m ) and a second particle with charge 3.2x10^-6 is located at (0,-2.75x10^-2 m) what is the electric potential due to the two charges at the origin?

Homework Equations

V = kq/r

The Attempt at a Solution

So at the origin the potential should be kq1/r1 + kq2/r2 = k(q1/r1 + q2/r2)

plugging in, (8.99x10^9)(-1733785 + 1046109) = -6.87x10^5

but my book is telling me the answer is -8.21x10^5

what am I not taking into account here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:
So at the origin the potential should be kq1/r1 + kq2/r2 = k(q1/r1 + q2/r2)
Good.

plugging in, (8.99x10^9)(-1733785 + 1046109)
I don't get the values shown in red.

TSny said:
Good.

I don't get the values shown in red.

Strange. I did the calculation a million times exactly like I just did it but I got the answer now... the mechanical task of calculating stuff makes me want to pull out my hair. I hope I don't do this on a test lol.

Anyways thank you..

OK, good. For the first charge, it looks like you used a distance of .035 m rather than .0325 m.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy that a unit charge has at a given point in space. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction. Electric potential is also known as voltage.

2. How is electric potential due to a collection of charged particles calculated?

The electric potential at a point due to a collection of charged particles is calculated by summing the potential contributions of each individual charged particle. This can be done using the formula V = k∑q/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance between the particle and the point in question.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. How does the electric potential due to charged particles affect the motion of other charged particles?

The electric potential due to charged particles creates an electric field, which exerts a force on other charged particles. This force can either attract or repel the particles, depending on their charges. The direction and magnitude of the force can be calculated using the formula F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the particle, and E is the electric field.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. This means that the potential energy of a unit charge at that point is negative, indicating that work must be done on the charge to move it away from that point. Negative electric potential can occur if the charged particles are of opposite charges and the potential is measured at a point between them.