Electric spark between person and another person/thing

In summary, the conversation discusses the occurrence of electric sparks and strong discharges in a hot and dry country, and the possible reasons behind it. Borek and Baluncore suggest that dry air and certain types of carpets and floors may contribute to this phenomenon. The speaker also mentions that the humidity in the two countries is different, which may explain the difference in electric discharge.
ZdMh
TL;DR Summary
Why an electric spark is happening a lot and much stronger in a new country I recently moved to
Hello All!

You know sometimes you touch another person and you felt an electric spark between both of you, or sometimes with things like the door handle, etc. I moved lately to a hot and dry country where the temperature is around 40-45 Celcius degrees now in August, but since I moved here this electric spark happened a lot and much stronger. Yes, I know maybe I must plug myself into a battery to charge it for free Huh, but really why this is happening and is the reason related to the higher temperature?

Likes Klystron
Engineering news on Phys.org
Dry air slows down the charge loss, so it is easier to build up large voltages. But, often the culprit is just the surface on which you are walking - some carpets/floor types have tendency to quickly built static charges when you walk on them, it doesn't have anything with geography. Back in early nineties I worked at a company where we were forced into replacing the carpet after we lost some hardware to static charges (and I don't speak about anything really fancy, we killed interfaces between things like printers, computers etc).

Likes ZdMh
ZdMh said:
I moved lately to a hot and dry country where the temperature is around 40-45 Celcius degrees now in August, but since I moved here this electric spark happened a lot and much stronger.
Are the floors covered with the same material as before ?
Do you wear the same shoes as before ?
I would expect seasonal variation in humidity to be more important than temperature.
What are the two countries ?

Likes ZdMh
@Borek @Baluncore
I think you both are right. My current country is so dry [15% Humidity], while my old one was humid. Therefore the electric discharge is easlily happening!
But thank you for mentioning the idea of "some carpets/floor types", I didn't know of that before... what types do you mean[have a tendency to quickly built static charges]

1. What causes an electric spark between two people/things?

An electric spark between two people or things is caused by a buildup of static electricity. This buildup occurs when there is a separation of electric charges due to friction or contact between two different materials. When the charges are released, they can create a spark.

2. Can an electric spark be dangerous?

In most cases, an electric spark between two people or things is harmless. However, in certain situations, such as in the presence of flammable gases or liquids, the spark can ignite and cause a fire or explosion. It is important to be cautious and avoid creating sparks in potentially hazardous environments.

3. Why do some people experience more electric sparks than others?

Some people may experience more electric sparks than others due to differences in their clothing, footwear, and the materials they come in contact with. For example, wearing rubber-soled shoes can prevent the buildup of static electricity, while certain fabrics, such as wool, can increase the likelihood of sparks.

4. Can you prevent electric sparks between two people/things?

It is difficult to completely prevent electric sparks between two people or things, as they are a natural occurrence. However, there are some measures that can reduce the likelihood of sparks, such as wearing clothing made of natural fibers, using antistatic products, and avoiding contact with materials that are known to cause static buildup.

5. Is there a difference between an electric spark and an electric shock?

Yes, there is a difference between an electric spark and an electric shock. An electric spark is a brief discharge of static electricity, while an electric shock is a larger and more sustained flow of electricity through the body. While an electric spark may startle or cause minor discomfort, an electric shock can be dangerous and potentially life-threatening.