Electrical Circuit - Power dissipation

In summary, the Lab asked us to determine the power dissipated by the circuit when it is disconnected, which we were able to do more accurately by measuring the current instead of the voltage.
rambo5330
During a Lab we had a simple purely resistive circuit hooked up to a 10 VDC power supply with an adjustable voltage output. In order to determine the power dissipated by the circuit we were asked to determine the source voltage while the circuit was DISCONNECTED... we were not told why... In the Lab write up we are asked to explain clearly why we had to do this...

The only thing I can think of is that with the circuit disconnected no current would be running through the secondary side of the step down transformer in the power supply which would give you the unloaded voltage output...when the circuit is connected current would start flowing throught he secondary and maybe the CEMF affects the apparent voltage output? I have no idea... Can someone please explain why this gives a more accurate reading for power dissipated?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the essential difference between an ideal DC voltage source and a non-ideal DC voltage source?

im not 100% sure what you mean by that but I am assuming you mean... an ideal DC power source has 0 losses and a non-ideal power source does have losses?

rambo5330 said:
im not 100% sure what you mean by that but I am assuming you mean... an ideal DC power source has 0 losses and a non-ideal power source does have losses?

Essentially, yes. Basically, any non-ideal DC power source will operate similarly to an ideal DC power source except that it has an internal resistance. How might you apply that knowledge to the problem at hand?

actually that is exactly what your talking about... i just drew it out with the source and a resistor in series and did KVL and yes i totally understand now... but basically this is not giving true power dissipated by the circuit is it not... its now including power dissipated by the power supply as well... (which isss part of the circuit i suppose).. could we not just adjust the voltage to our probler 10 V while the circuit is attached and then measure the current at various parts and use this as the power dissipated by our circuit ...

Related to Electrical Circuit - Power dissipation

1. What is power dissipation in an electrical circuit?

Power dissipation refers to the process of energy conversion in an electrical circuit. It is the rate at which electrical energy is converted into heat within a circuit component, typically measured in watts.

2. How is power dissipation calculated?

The calculation of power dissipation is done using Ohm's Law, which states that power (P) is equal to the product of voltage (V) and current (I). Therefore, the formula for power dissipation is P = V x I.

3. What factors affect power dissipation in an electrical circuit?

The amount of power dissipated in a circuit is influenced by the resistance of the circuit components, the voltage applied, and the current flowing through the circuit. The type of material used in the components and the ambient temperature also play a role.

4. How does power dissipation affect the performance of an electrical circuit?

Power dissipation can result in the generation of excess heat, which can cause components to overheat and fail. Excessive power dissipation can also lead to voltage drops and reduced efficiency in the circuit.

5. What are some measures to reduce power dissipation in an electrical circuit?

There are several ways to reduce power dissipation in a circuit, such as using components with lower resistance, reducing the voltage applied, and implementing cooling systems. Proper circuit design and regular maintenance can also help minimize power dissipation.