Electrical Circuits - Find the power and Voltage

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit diagram and the power distribution within it. The focus is on part B of the problem, where the 3A source and the X1 element are analyzed. The individual's main concerns are understanding the polarities and current flow within the circuit. The final solution involves using the loop equation to determine the polarity of the 3A source and the sum of power absorbed and released to find the power going through X1.
VitaX

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3746/electriccircuits.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone help me with part B of this? I understand that in part a it says the 5 A source is delivering 10 W of power, so that would in turn make the positive terminal of the source at the top, since its delivering power. X1 is absorbing power which would mean it takes in through the positive terminal and leaves through the negative. For part b I get that the 2 V is constant throughout the circuit since its closed so the Power at the 3 A source is 6 W. But I'm having a hard time understanding why the Power at the element X1 is 4 W according to the books answer. My main concern is following the current flow here, I mean isn't the 2 Volts going through the element X1? I'm just having a hard time understanding the diagram.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
voltage does go through X1, current does.

I the 3A source delivering power or absorbing power? How can you tell?

phinds said:
voltage does go through X1, current does.

I the 3A source delivering power or absorbing power? How can you tell?

Well you could only tell if the polarities were in place, but that's also what I'm having trouble discerning. How do I break down the circuit just to analyze part b of the problem? The book's answer for part b is Power in the 3 A source = 6 W (absorbed), Power in the element X1 = 4 W (absorbed). One of my main problems are the two sources. Isn't there 5 Amps and 3 Amps running through the element X1 at the same time?

Edit: I just overlooked the loop equation to find the polarity of the 3 Amp source. So in using that I get the positive terminal on the top and negative terminal on the bottom of the 3 Amp source. And judging by the current flow in the 3 Amp source, it will be absorbing 6 W of power. Main problem now is finding the power going through X1.

Edit 2: Nevermind, it's just sum of power absorbed = sum of power released ; 6 + p1 = 10

Last edited:
VitaX said:
Well you could only tell if the polarities were in place, but that's also what I'm having trouble discerning. How do I break down the circuit just to analyze part b of the problem? The book's answer for part b is Power in the 3 A source = 6 W (absorbed), Power in the element X1 = 4 W (absorbed). One of my main problems are the two sources. Isn't there 5 Amps and 3 Amps running through the element X1 at the same time?

Edit: I just overlooked the loop equation to find the polarity of the 3 Amp source. So in using that I get the positive terminal on the top and negative terminal on the bottom of the 3 Amp source. And judging by the current flow in the 3 Amp source, it will be absorbing 6 W of power. Main problem now is finding the power going through X1.

Edit 2: Nevermind, it's just sum of power absorbed = sum of power released ; 6 + p1 = 10

My original statement should have been (as you no doubt figured out) "voltage does NOT go through ... "

Why is it a problem for there to be 5 amps in one supply and 3 amps in the other with something different than 8 amps going through X1? Do you understand the clearly shown direction of the current flows? As for the polarity, you have aleady figured that out and there is nothing more to figure out except how to divide up the currents as they enter/exit the 3 lines coming into the top of X1

Hello,

To find the power and voltage in this circuit, we can use the equations P = VI and V = IR.

For part b, the 3 A source is delivering 6 W of power, so we can use the equation P = VI to find the voltage. We know that the current is 3 A, so we can plug that in and solve for V:

6 W = (3 A)(V)
V = 2 V

This confirms that the voltage is indeed constant throughout the circuit.

Now, for the element X1, we can use the equation P = VI again. We know that the voltage across X1 is 2 V, and we can find the current by using the equation V = IR. We know that the resistance is 1 ohm, so we can plug in the values and solve for I:

2 V = (1 ohm)(I)
I = 2 A

Now, we can plug in the values for V and I into the equation P = VI and solve for power:

P = (2 V)(2 A)
P = 4 W

This confirms that the power at element X1 is indeed 4 W.

I hope this helps! It's important to remember to use the correct equations and to keep track of the current flow in the circuit. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the difference between power and voltage in an electrical circuit?

The power of an electrical circuit is the rate at which energy is transferred or used, while voltage is the measure of the electric potential difference between two points in the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the power in an electrical circuit?

To calculate the power in an electrical circuit, you can use the formula: Power (P) = Voltage (V) x Current (I). This means that the power is equal to the product of the voltage and the current in the circuit.

3. Can I find the power and voltage in a circuit without knowing the current?

No, you cannot find the power and voltage in a circuit without knowing the current. All three variables (power, voltage, and current) are interrelated and you need to know at least two of them to calculate the third using the formula P=VI.

4. How does the power and voltage change in a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the power and voltage are shared among all the components, so the total voltage and power will be equal to the sum of individual voltage and power in each component. In a parallel circuit, the voltage remains the same across all components, but the power is divided among them, so the total power will be equal to the sum of individual power in each component.

5. Why is it important to find the power and voltage in an electrical circuit?

Finding the power and voltage in an electrical circuit is important because it helps in understanding the amount of energy being used or supplied in the circuit. It also helps in determining the proper functioning of the circuit and identifying any potential issues or malfunctions.