Electrical current question

In summary: AC lines to explain the relationship between resistance, voltage polarity, and current flow.In summary, the discussion is about the relationship between resistance, voltage polarity, and current flow. The example of a light bulb plugged into AC lines is used to explain that the polarity of the voltage must be the same as the charge flow for energy to flow in the same direction. However, there is a question of whether this is oversimplifying the concept. It is also clarified that the discussion is focused on steady state conditions and ideal resistors.
charminglystrange
Homework Statement
How do the electrical currents in the arms of a network, containing resistors and batteries, alter if the connections to all the batteries are reversed?
Relevant Equations
n/a
I assume that because there is a resistance, the polarity of the voltage must be the same as the charge flow, and thus the current, in order for energy to flow in the same direction.
For instance, could I use the example of a light bulb (the resistor) plugged into AC lines; we know that if the current alternates, the voltage must also alternate to ensure energy does not vibrate back and forth, and flows into the light bulbs, so into the resistor.

However, am I oversimplifying the question here, and can I not apply this example?

Many thanks, and I welcome any feedback on asking questions; this is my first one :)

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello cs, :welcome: !

Charge symmetry makes all the currents change sign, and that is all. As long as the resistors are ideal...
And I take it we are talking stay state here (no huge sizes and high frequencies).

Likes charminglystrange
BvU said:
Hello cs, :welcome: !

Charge symmetry makes all the currents change sign, and that is all. As long as the resistors are ideal...
And I take it we are talking stay state here (no huge sizes and high frequencies).
Many thanks, and yes, I think we can take the resistors to be ideal.
CS

1. What is electrical current?

Electrical current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and is typically represented by the symbol "I".

2. How is electrical current created?

Electric current is created when there is a potential difference (voltage) between two points in a circuit. This causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, creating a current.

3. What factors affect the strength of an electrical current?

The strength of an electrical current is affected by the voltage, the resistance of the conductor, and the length and thickness of the conductor. A higher voltage or lower resistance will result in a stronger current.

4. What are the different types of electrical current?

There are two types of electrical current: direct current (DC) and alternating current (AC). DC flows in one direction, while AC changes direction periodically. Most household appliances use AC, while batteries produce DC.

5. How is electrical current measured?

Electrical current is measured using a device called an ammeter. It is connected in series with the circuit and measures the flow of electrons in amperes.