Electrical energy production question

In summary: I get a different value. 2.3 E8 tones x 1000 kg/tone x 2 E7 J/kg = 4.6 E19 J. From that you should be able to answer both (a) and (b).In summary, if all the solid waste of 230 million tonnes were burned in waste-to-energy power plants that are 20% efficient, it could produce approximately 4.6 E19 joules of electrical energy in a year. This is equivalent to about 12 trillion kilowatt-hours, which is more than three times the total U.S. electrical energy production of approximately 3.8 trillion kWh annually. The equivalent average electric power output from all these waste burning
nwag93

Homework Statement

If all the solid waste of 230 million tonnes were burned in waste-to-energy power plants that are 20% efficient,

a) how many kilowatt-hours of electrical energy could be produced in a year? Compare this quantity with the total U.S. electrical energy production of approximately 3.8 trillion kWh annually.

b) what would be the equivalent average electric power output from all these waste burning power plants? how many 1-GW coal-fired plants could they displace

Homework Equations

im not too sure

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know how to begin

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Please start by telling us what "waste to energy power plant" means to you[1]... what does one of these things actually do? What is it? i.e. does it convert matter into energy by E=mc2?

How much energy is represented by so many tonnes of solid waste?

What does "efficiency" mean?

Sort out those questions and you should be able to answer your own question.

------------------

[1] by "you" I mean in the context of the course that this hmework has been set for ... if you don't know off the top of your head, you will have to go back over your coursework for clues.

I am just confused. I don't know where to start. Is there an example I could use?

nwag93 said:
I am just confused. I don't know where to start. Is there an example I could use?
To answer this question you must make use of other facts that are not in what you posted. Specifically, how much energy can be obtained from burning, say, 1kg of waste? Maybe there were earlier parts of the question that gave this information, or perhaps it should be in your course notes somewhere. If not, you'll have to make some assumption about what the waste consists of chemically. Or maybe just research the subject on the net.

It is around 20 MJ/kg. does that help?

nwag93 said:

Please check your PMs. You must show more effort toward solving your schoolwork problems here. That is an important part of our Homework Help rules (see Site Info at the top of the page).

nwag93 said:
It is around 20 MJ/kg. does that help?
Of course it helps!
So how many J will you get from 230 million tonnes?

9.6x10^18 joules

nwag93 said:
9.6x10^18 joules
Do you have a typo in there?

1. How is electrical energy produced?

Electrical energy is produced through the conversion of other forms of energy, such as chemical, mechanical, or thermal energy. This is typically done through generators, which use a source of energy to rotate a magnet within a coil of wire, creating an electrical current.

2. What are the different sources of electrical energy production?

The main sources of electrical energy production are fossil fuels (coal, oil, and natural gas), nuclear energy, and renewable sources such as solar, wind, hydro, and geothermal energy. Each source has its own advantages and disadvantages in terms of cost, environmental impact, and reliability.

3. How does electrical energy production impact the environment?

The production of electrical energy can have significant environmental impacts, especially through the combustion of fossil fuels and the generation of greenhouse gases. However, renewable energy sources have a much lower environmental impact and are becoming increasingly popular as alternatives to traditional sources of energy.

4. What is the role of government in electrical energy production?

The government plays a crucial role in regulating and overseeing the production of electrical energy. This includes setting standards for safety and emissions, providing incentives for the development of renewable energy sources, and ensuring fair pricing for consumers.

5. How can we increase efficiency in electrical energy production?

There are several ways to increase efficiency in electrical energy production, including using more efficient technologies, improving the design and maintenance of power plants, and implementing energy conservation measures. Additionally, investing in research and development of new technologies can also help improve efficiency in the long run.