Electrical Engineer Certifications?

In summary, for a soon-to-be college graduate in electrical engineering, there are a variety of recommended certifications depending on their career goals. These include a General Radiotelephone license for designing RF gear, a PMP certificate for project management (although experience is important), and potentially an MBA for future career growth. It is important to note that the E.I.T. certification is only necessary for those pursuing a career as a registered professional engineer and may not be needed in all fields of electrical engineering. Ultimately, it is important to carefully consider one's career goals when deciding on certifications to pursue.
oso0690
I'm wondering what are some recommended certifications a soon-to-be college grad should get as an electrical engineer besides an E.I.T.?

Physics news on Phys.org
The certifications you seek depend upon what you intend to do with your electrical engineering background.

A General Radiotelephone license is not a bad idea if you want to design RF gear.

A PMP certificate is a good thing to have, though I personally wouldn't recommend that anybody get into project management until they have actually worked on a few projects. I see way too many people with PMP certificates with no clue of what they're working on.

You might also decide to pursue an MBA some day. Again, this is another one of those degrees that I do not recommend to anyone unless they've been through the real world first. We all have scars and war stories about fresh faced MBA hacks.

Also note that the E.I.T. is only useful if you have an intention of becoming a registered professional engineer. I want to emphasize that the PE is a LIABILITY. It is a pair of handcuffs that will be used upon you when you screw up. Yes, it can make you more employable. But there are many fields of electrical engineering where such certification is not needed. Think carefully should you decide to go for that certificate.

The bottom line: What do you think you would like to do when you graduate with a degree in Electrical Engineering?

Related to Electrical Engineer Certifications?

1. What is an Electrical Engineer Certification?

An Electrical Engineer Certification is a professional credential that demonstrates expertise and knowledge in the field of electrical engineering. It is awarded to individuals who have completed a rigorous education and training program, and have passed a standardized examination.

2. What are the benefits of obtaining an Electrical Engineer Certification?

There are several benefits to obtaining an Electrical Engineer Certification, including increased job opportunities, higher salary potential, and recognition of your skills and expertise in the field. It also serves as proof of your commitment to your profession and can help you stand out among other job candidates.

3. How do I become certified as an Electrical Engineer?

To become certified as an Electrical Engineer, you must first complete a degree in electrical engineering from an accredited university or college. Then, you must gain a certain amount of work experience in the field and pass a standardized examination. The specific requirements for certification may vary depending on the certifying organization.

4. Are there different types of Electrical Engineer Certifications?

Yes, there are several types of Electrical Engineer Certifications offered by different organizations. Some certifications may focus on specific areas of electrical engineering, such as power systems or electronics, while others may be more general in nature. It is important to research and choose the certification that best aligns with your career goals and interests.

5. How long does an Electrical Engineer Certification last?

The validity period of an Electrical Engineer Certification may vary depending on the certifying organization. Some certifications may require periodic renewal, while others may be valid for a lifetime. It is important to check with the certifying organization for their specific renewal requirements and timelines.