Electrical Engineering - Operational Amplifiers

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a circuit and an operational amplifier. The question is whether it is allowed for the output current of the op amp to flow into the input terminals, as it would violate Kirchhoff's Current Law and affect the calculated values of the circuit. The response is that while the op amp can source or sink current, there should not be any significant current flowing into or out of the input terminals.
GreenPrint
Hi in a homework problem I'm trying to solve circuit. I'm getting the output current of an operational amplifier going into the operational amplifier. Is this allowed? If not than I'm violating Kirchhoff Current law and my other calculated values of the circuit must be wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
GreenPrint said:
Hi in a homework problem I'm trying to solve circuit. I'm getting the output current of an operational amplifier going into the operational amplifier. Is this allowed? If not than I'm violating Kirchhoff Current law and my other calculated values of the circuit must be wrong.

Thanks for any help.

An operational amplifier can source or sink current.

gneill said:
An operational amplifier can source or sink current.

The output of the op amp can source or sink current, as gneill says, but there should not be any significant current flowing into or out of the input terminals. Is this your question?

1. What is an operational amplifier (op-amp)?

An operational amplifier (op-amp) is an electronic device that amplifies and processes signals in electrical circuits. It has a high gain and high input impedance, making it useful for a variety of applications such as signal conditioning, filtering, and mathematical operations.

2. How does an op-amp work?

An op-amp typically has two inputs, a non-inverting (+) input and an inverting (-) input, and one output. The output is the amplified difference between the two inputs, multiplied by the gain of the op-amp. The op-amp also has a power supply and ground connections to provide the necessary voltage for operation.

3. What are the important parameters to consider when selecting an op-amp?

The important parameters to consider when selecting an op-amp include gain, input and output impedance, bandwidth, and supply voltage requirements. Other factors to consider are noise, offset voltage, and slew rate, as these can affect the accuracy and performance of the op-amp in specific applications.

4. What are some common applications of op-amps?

Op-amps are widely used in electronic circuits, including audio amplifiers, filters, oscillators, and voltage regulators. They are also commonly used in instrumentation and control systems, such as in sensors and signal conditioning circuits.

5. How do I use an op-amp in a circuit?

To use an op-amp in a circuit, you need to provide a power supply and connect the inputs and outputs as needed for the specific application. The non-inverting input is typically used for the input signal, while the inverting input is connected to a feedback network that sets the gain of the op-amp. The output is then connected to the rest of the circuit to process the amplified signal.