Electrical Engineering PhD application

In summary, the individual is a senior EE undergrad at UCLA with a focus on biomedical devices. They have a strong GPA and GRE scores, as well as research experience and teaching experience. They are considering applying to UCLA and Stanford for their PhD, but are also seeking advice on other schools that may be a good fit for their interests and qualifications.
nmaganzini
Hi guys,

I am a senior EE undergrad at UCLA and will be graduating this spring, 2016. I am applying for PhD programs in EE with a focus on biomedical devices (implantable devices and/or sensor networks and embedded systems).

I am choosing which schools to apply to and would like your advice. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.917.
GRE: 168 Quant, 166 Verbal.
Standing: Top 8% of my class (expected summa cum laude).
Letters of Rec: 2 strong, 1 med.
Research: Two projects in biomedical devices, one patent filing, no publications.
Extra: extensive teaching experience.

I know I will be applying to Stanford as my reach school (they have a perfect research lab for my interest) and will apply to UCLA (for good measure, and because they do have research in the field).

Any other schools you think would be in my range, both in terms of grades/scores and in terms of research topics? Also, what do you think are my chances with Stanford?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
nmaganzini said:
Hi guys,

I am a senior EE undergrad at UCLA and will be graduating this spring, 2016. I am applying for PhD programs in EE with a focus on biomedical devices (implantable devices and/or sensor networks and embedded systems).

I am choosing which schools to apply to and would like your advice. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.917.
GRE: 168 Quant, 166 Verbal.
Standing: Top 8% of my class (expected summa cum laude).
Letters of Rec: 2 strong, 1 med.
Research: Two projects in biomedical devices, one patent filing, no publications.
Extra: extensive teaching experience.

I know I will be applying to Stanford as my reach school (they have a perfect research lab for my interest) and will apply to UCLA (for good measure, and because they do have research in the field).

Any other schools you think would be in my range, both in terms of grades/scores and in terms of research topics? Also, what do you think are my chances with Stanford?

Thanks for your help!

If you plan to stay in academia, going to UCLA for your PhD as well may be frowned upon by some.

You look like a strong candidate from what's available to judge... I wouldn't call Stanford that big of a reach school for you, although I would add about 7 or 8 more programs onto your wish list.

1. What are the minimum requirements for admission into an Electrical Engineering PhD program?

In order to be admitted into an Electrical Engineering PhD program, most universities require applicants to have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or a related field. Some programs may also require a Master's degree. Additionally, a strong academic record and letters of recommendation are typically necessary.

2. What is the typical duration of an Electrical Engineering PhD program?

The duration of an Electrical Engineering PhD program varies depending on the university and the individual student's progress. On average, it takes 4-5 years to complete a PhD in Electrical Engineering. However, some students may finish in less time if they have previous research experience or are able to complete their dissertation quickly.

3. What types of courses are typically included in an Electrical Engineering PhD program?

Electrical Engineering PhD programs typically include a combination of advanced coursework and research. Courses may cover topics such as advanced mathematics, electromagnetics, control systems, and signal processing. Students may also have the opportunity to take elective courses in their area of research interest.

4. Is it necessary to have a specific research topic in mind when applying for an Electrical Engineering PhD program?

While it is not necessary to have a specific research topic in mind when applying, it can be beneficial to have a general idea of your research interests. This can help you find a potential advisor and align your research goals with the university's faculty and resources. However, many students develop their research topic during their first year of the program.

5. What are some examples of research areas within Electrical Engineering that I can pursue during a PhD program?

Electrical Engineering is a broad field with many research areas to choose from. Some examples include power systems, renewable energy, wireless communications, microelectronics, and control systems. It is important to research the faculty and labs at the university you are applying to in order to find a match for your research interests.