[Electrical force] 2 balls hanging from ceiling, angled

In summary, the electric force is equal to the horizontal component of the tension, the weight is equal to the vertical component of the tension, and T=\sqrt{(mg)^2+F_e^2}.
sea333
Homework Statement
2 metal balls hang from a ceiling on a thread(see picture a.) ). After the balls are charged with the same charge both thread diverge to an angle 20 degrees.(see picture b.) )
What charge is used to charge each ball.
weight of each ball = 0.02 kg
Relevant Equations
F = (1/(4*Pi*eps0))*(e*e)/r^2
20210727_191445.jpg

Capture.PNG
20210727_191509.jpg

Attachments

• 20210727_191509.jpg
    20210727_191509.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 84
Physics news on Phys.org
Your expression ##F_e=mg\tan(10^o)## is incorrect. The electric force is equal to the horizontal component of the tension, the weight is equal to the vertical component of the tension and ##T=\sqrt{(mg)^2+F_e^2}.##

kuruman said:
Your expression ##F_e=mg\tan(10^o)## is incorrect. The electric force is equal to the horizontal component of the tension, the weight is equal to the vertical component of the tension and ##T=\sqrt{(mg)^2+F_e^2}.##
ok but neither the Tension nor Fe are known, and we need Fe ?

Write down two equations balancing forces in the horizontal and vertical directions separately and see where you can go from there.

kuruman said:
Write down two equations balancing forces in the horizontal and vertical directions separately and see where you can go from there.
horizontal: Fx - Fe = 0 -> Fe = Fx
vertical: Fg - Fy = 0 -> Fg = Fy

sea333 said:
horizontal: Fx - Fe = 0 -> Fe = Fx
vertical: Fg - Fy = 0 -> Fg = Fy
This is correct but doesn't get you very far. You need to bring in the given quantities. Please use symbols like m and q and so on, not numbers. The numbers will be substituted in the final expression for q once you have it.

kuruman said:
This is correct but doesn't get you very far. You need to bring in the given quantities. Please use symbols like m and q and so on, not numbers. The numbers will be substituted in the final expression for q once you have it.
Fe = Fx
Fg = Fy
Fx = (1/(4*PI*Eps0))*(q*q/r^2)
Fy = mg

Right. But you have not brought in the information that the string makes a 10o angle with respect to the vertical. How would you go about doing that?

kuruman said:
Right. But you have not brought in the information that the string makes a 10o angle with respect to the vertical. How would you go about doing that?
that is cosinus -> T = mg / Cos10

Correct. What can you say about the horizontal direction?

this
Fx - Fe = 0
Fx = (1/(4*PI*Eps0))*(q*q/r^2)

And how is Fx related to T?

Fx/T = sin 10 -> Fx = Fe = T*sin10

OK. You have two equations one in the vertical direction and one in the horizontal direction involving T, mg and the electrical force. Can you write them down, one below the other?

T = mg / Cos10
Fx = Fe = T*sin10

How does that help you find q?

Into the bottom equitation I can insert equation for T and get q which is the only unknown?

Please show me how you are going to do this.

q*q/(4*PI*Eps0*r^2) = (m*g / Cos10) * Sin10

And then just move everything except q on the right side

That sounds about right. You already have r from your initial attempt.

This looks easy, but why was my attempt flawed with Tan10 ?

sea333 said:
I explained that in post #2.

sea333 said:
That was fine, but you have a wrong sign in your use of the cosine rule to find r. Easier would have been ##r=a\sin(10°)##.

Edit: see correction in post #27.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
That was fine, but you have a wrong sign in your use of the cosine rule to find r. Easier would have been ##r=a\sin(10°)##.
When I changed the sign now result looks correct.
I don't think you can get r in such a way because angle 10 degrees is not adjacent to r

kuruman said:
I explained that in post #2.
It looks like the Tan approach was correct

correct solution
Capture.PNG

sea333 said:
When I changed the sign now result looks correct.
I don't think you can get r in such a way because angle 10 degrees is not adjacent to r
Sorry, I meant ##r=2a\sin(10°)##.

haruspex said:
Sorry, I meant ##r=2a\sin(10°)##.
I still don't see how this is correct as angle 10 is not adjacent to r

sea333 said:
You have found that ##r=\sqrt{2a^2-2a^2\cos^2(20^o)}=\sqrt{2a^2(1-\cos(20^0))}##.
There is a trig identity that says
##\cos(2\theta)=\cos^2(\theta)-\sin^2(\theta)##
so that ##1-\cos(20^0)=1-\cos^2(10^o)+\sin^2(10^o)=2\sin^2(10^o)##. What do you get when you substitute in the expression for ##r##?

Another way to look at it is to break the isosceles triangle to two right triangles of base ##r/2## and hypotenuse ##a##. How is ##r/2## related to ##a##?

sqrt(4a^2sin^2(10)) = 2*a*sin10

How do you get from 1 - cos^2(10) - sin^2(10) to 2 sin^2(10) ?

sea333 said:
Draw a vertical line down from the apex and consider the two triangles produced.

I don't think I will need these advance techniques in my exercises

sea333 said:
I don't think I will need these advance techniques in my exercises
Dropping a perpendicular from the apex of an isosceles triangle to create two congruent right angled triangles is pretty basic geometry; less advanced, even, than the cosine rule.

haruspex said:
Dropping a perpendicular from the apex of an isosceles triangle to create two congruent right angled triangles is pretty basic geometry; less advanced, even, than the cosine rule.
I have checked this and I get r = 2a*sin10

sea333 said:
I have checked this and I get r = 2a*sin10
Yes, as in my correction in post #27.

Likes sea333
<h2>1. How does the electrical force affect two balls hanging from the ceiling at an angle?</h2><p>The electrical force between two objects depends on their charges and the distance between them. If the balls have opposite charges, they will be attracted to each other and the angle between them will decrease. If the balls have the same charge, they will repel each other and the angle between them will increase.</p><h2>2. Why do the balls hang at an angle instead of directly below each other?</h2><p>The angle at which the balls hang is determined by the balance of forces acting on them. The weight of the balls pulling downwards is balanced by the tension in the string holding them up. The electrical force between the balls also plays a role in determining the angle at which they hang.</p><h2>3. What factors affect the strength of the electrical force between the two balls?</h2><p>The strength of the electrical force between the balls depends on the magnitude of their charges and the distance between them. The force is stronger if the charges are larger and closer together, and weaker if the charges are smaller and farther apart.</p><h2>4. How does the angle between the balls change if one of the balls is given a different charge?</h2><p>If one of the balls is given a different charge, the angle between them will change. If the balls have opposite charges, the angle will decrease as they are attracted to each other. If the balls have the same charge, the angle will increase as they repel each other.</p><h2>5. Can the angle between the balls be used to determine the strength of the electrical force?</h2><p>No, the angle between the balls alone cannot be used to determine the strength of the electrical force. Other factors, such as the charges of the balls and the distance between them, must also be taken into account to accurately calculate the strength of the force.</p>

1. How does the electrical force affect two balls hanging from the ceiling at an angle?

The electrical force between two objects depends on their charges and the distance between them. If the balls have opposite charges, they will be attracted to each other and the angle between them will decrease. If the balls have the same charge, they will repel each other and the angle between them will increase.

2. Why do the balls hang at an angle instead of directly below each other?

The angle at which the balls hang is determined by the balance of forces acting on them. The weight of the balls pulling downwards is balanced by the tension in the string holding them up. The electrical force between the balls also plays a role in determining the angle at which they hang.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electrical force between the two balls?

The strength of the electrical force between the balls depends on the magnitude of their charges and the distance between them. The force is stronger if the charges are larger and closer together, and weaker if the charges are smaller and farther apart.

4. How does the angle between the balls change if one of the balls is given a different charge?

If one of the balls is given a different charge, the angle between them will change. If the balls have opposite charges, the angle will decrease as they are attracted to each other. If the balls have the same charge, the angle will increase as they repel each other.

5. Can the angle between the balls be used to determine the strength of the electrical force?

No, the angle between the balls alone cannot be used to determine the strength of the electrical force. Other factors, such as the charges of the balls and the distance between them, must also be taken into account to accurately calculate the strength of the force.